please help me choose an oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've read quite a few posts on here and obviously everyone has their own opinions on their favorite oil. So, based on the questions in the post "What oil should I use? What is the BEST oil?", here are my answers and a few more tidbits about my scenario.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L w/turbo

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
API standard SL with the "Energy Conserving" logo is printed (if you cannot obtain the oil with SL grade, you may use SJ grade "ENERGY CONSERVING" oil)
ILSAC standard, GF3 or new API certification mark (Star burst mark) label is on the container.

3. Where you live
Pennsylvania

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Mostly easy, but occasionally I like to gun it.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Drive to work is a 25 minute drive, almost all highway. I have about 5-10 minutes of that on suburban/rural roads.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
no known problems.

Other (maybe) important information:
I bought the car new (60 miles from people test driving) and I used 5w-30 mineral oil (I think it was Mobil-1) for the first 20k or so miles. I then switched to Mobil-1 synthetic (5w-30). After a while I switched again to Shell Rotella-T (5w-40).
I'm kinda lazy when it comes to changing the oil in the sense that I'll let it go about 7-9k miles before changing the oil. That's a big reason I switched to synthetic, but also because of the other advantages it has over mineral-based oils.
I do drive to my parents every now and again and sometimes I have to go to D.C., so I do occasionally make longer trips, but that is all highway. I very very rarely have any kind of city driving.

So, my big gripe with the Shell is that it's 5w-40, so I'm not sure what kind of flow I'm getting at operating temperature. According to my temp gauge, my oil only gets up to about 60-70'C by the time I get to work (at least it did today, and it was only semi-cold (probably in the 40's 'F).

Anyway, I was thinking about trying AMSOil, but I've heard good things about other oils as well. I'm just looking for some guidance from the experts (or anyone that knows more than me).

What do you all think? Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations are appreciated (and if you are recommending a particular oil, please post WHY you are recommending it).

Thanks!

2.0L? I thought the US WRX either had the 2.2 or 2.5? But I could be mistaken. People say their Subarus love thicker oils, and if my Subaru had a turbo I'd have no qualms running T6 5w-40 or M1 0w-40. A lot of Subaru owners get the German Castrol which is on the thicker side of 30 weights.

Honestly, I thnk you could keep doing what you're doing and be just fine. But if you wanted to try something like Amsoil, go ahead and try it. I personally think there 0w-30 oil is very tempting to try. But maybe consider doing a Used oil analysis on your next oil change to see how everything is holdig up. I think you'll see everything is fine doing what you're doing now.

One of the best things you could do though, is to let your car idle for 20-30 seconds before turning it off. This helps circulate the oil to cool down the turbo a bit more before shutting off the engine.

Gc 0w30 is a good choice, Amsoil is never a bad choice IMO but I would probably go with M1 0w40 on this one. The 0w40 is a "thick" 30 wgt. but has the cold flow properties of a 0w. It will get up to temp quicker than the Rotella, and has one of the best reputations of any oil on the market, just look at all the qualifications it meets or exceeds. Get it when it is on sale at AutoZone.

Last edited:
I'm running M1 0W40 in a turbo volvo and have turned in some really good uoas. Some of the most knowledgeable people on the forum both use and recommend the M1 0W40. An extra benefit is that it avaialble in many Walmart stores where it sells for less than $7 per qt.

BTW, the good uoas are based on a 7500 mile oci. Both times Blackstone indicated that the oil could have gone longer but the car is covered under an extended warranty so I'll stick to that oci.

Last edited:
Mobi1 1 5w30EP.... might be a good choice for you. You can run it for one year or 15K (whichever comes first). I'm currently useing it, and my personal OCI is 10K +/-. I too am a bit lazy and don't like to change my oil that often.

If you go with the above, use a long OCI filter such as a Mobil 1 EP filter. It can easily do 10K to 15K.

berky,

One of the oils(synthetic) that have been popular at my local PEP BOYS for a good while has been made by Conoco Phillips 76....
called Kendall. This oil is well priced at $5.97 at my California PEP BOYS and has been a mover since I saw it on the shelve. Compared to the other synthetic oils this oil goes fast.
For the price it's worth a try once. I will this coming friday in my 01' Dodge Durango V-8. It comes in 5W-30 and it fits my pocket book. Consider it.

Durango

Originally Posted By: berky

So, my big gripe with the Shell is that it's 5w-40, so I'm not sure what kind of flow I'm getting at operating temperature. According to my temp gauge, my oil only gets up to about 60-70'C by the time I get to work (at least it did today, and it was only semi-cold (probably in the 40's 'F).
Thanks!

Good info. The engine didn't make normal operating temp.

Did you like the Mobil 1? Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 also stands up well to fuel dilution.

wow. lots of quick replies. The Syntec 0w30 intrigues me. I will definitely check into that one a bit more.

Also, instead of starting a new thread, what oil filters do you guys go with? I've used K&N, M1, and P1 so far. I can't really notice a difference, but I haven't torn the filters apart or anything. I like the pricepoint of the P1, but I haven't done much research on filters yet.

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted By: sicko
2.0L? I thought the US WRX either had the 2.2 or 2.5? But I could be mistaken.

Yeah, it's 2.0. the 2.5 is the STI and the base impreza non-turbo. maybe the newer ones are 2.2? the 2005 is definitely 2.0 though.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Mobi1 1 5w30EP.... might be a good choice for you. You can run it for one year or 15K (whichever comes first).

Thanks, I'll definitely check into this one as well.

Originally Posted By: Durango
One of the oils(synthetic) that have been popular at my local PEP BOYS for a good while has been made by Conoco Phillips 76....
called Kendall.

I've seen the bottles of Kendall before. I never paid much attention to them though. I'll research them a little more as well.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Did you like the Mobil 1? Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 also stands up well to fuel dilution.

I didn't have much of a gripe with the M1. Seemed to hold up fairly well. I'll check out the EP version though. I'm looking for something that can last me a year between changes
smile.gif

mobil 1 ep
castrol edge
amsoil
are best for extended drains from what i have read here

if it were mine i would go with german castrol and a bit shorter oci, like 5-6k.

all the filters you mentioned are good filters. the m1 is great for extended drains. fram makes one high quality filter called the extended guard. its a good filter as well.

Use Synthetic. GC 0W-30 is great and so is Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. In my opinion, you need to change out your oil sooner due to your turbo design. This will extend the life of your engine and turbo parts. I'd run the oil no longer than 5k miles in your vehicle and engine configuration.

I remember people have developed louder engines from using M1 on Subaru forums and that this particular application did not like Mobil1.

I also recommend a UOA that will give you a better idea of what your engine likes.

Last edited:
GC on special at AZ or Pepboys would be a great choice. Also Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in winter, 10-30 in summer would be a nice oil. I believe the 5w-30 has the Acura turbo spec(HO-6?) IIRC.

Originally Posted By: berky
wow. lots of quick replies. The Syntec 0w30 intrigues me. I will definitely check into that one a bit more.

Also, instead of starting a new thread, what oil filters do you guys go with? I've used K&N, M1, and P1 so far. I can't really notice a difference, but I haven't torn the filters apart or anything. I like the pricepoint of the P1, but I haven't done much research on filters yet.

Thanks for all the replies!

berky,

Usually I stick to the OEM filters but this OCI for my Durango that'll be this coming friday I'm bought a Purolator oil filter "Pure One". According to this forum this model brand of filter is well made and they also manufacture Chrysler OEM filters too.

On my 08' Impala SS everything is dealership done including the parts. It's still under warranty you see...... only difference is the Mobil 1 5W-30 I pay for as an alternate oil they offer.

Durango

You can't really go wrong with any of these good suggestions. If it were me, I'd go with GC since it's readily available. Also would like to mention my buddy has been using it in his 03 WRX and loves the stuff. I've used all the filters you mentioned in my Evo and couldn't really tell a difference between them, currently have a P1 installed.

I'm gonna second Spartuss and definitely recommend a shorter OCI due to the nature of the turbo. Friend's WRX OCI is 4K and mine is 3K. High performance engine with turbo, you definitely want to get good oil in sooner to keep things happy.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up getting some GC today at AZ, even though it wasn't on sale. I need to get my oil changed next weekend, so I couldn't wait around for it to go on sale. I'll see how I like it and if so, I'll probably stick with it. It's still cheaper than AMSOil and has the 0w starting viscosity, which I like. Plus I'm a fan of most things made in Germany :p. I also had to get a filter, so I just picked up a Bosch filter while I was there. I might go back to the P1 after this change since they're pretty cheap and I can get the model that a bit longer than the standard import filter size.

I'll have to keep a closer eye on my mileage and make a better effort to change the oil sooner than I have been.

Also, feel free to continue to post your comments and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back