Please critique my jackstand process

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes used a 4X4 block about 10" - 12" wide on top of the jack especially for my vehicles that sit up a little higher. I've never had a problem with the block slipping out. Sometimes it makes creaking type of noises but I've never had any problem. Of course I NEVER get under the vehicle unless it is supported by jack stands.

And I'll agree with all the others - I learned the hard way to never use any type of cement block when jacking a car. I tried it once when I was rather young and you can all guess what happened! Fortunately the only harm done was to my nerves!

Those jack stands are a well designed. The rating is 1/3 of the actual tested load limit. So a 2 ton rated stand can acually hold up to 6 tons before it reaches a dangerous stress level, 3 times the rated limit. The 3 ton stands are tested to 9 tons, that gives you up to 30 tons = 60,000lb of support between the 4 stands you have there. You are supporting 1000 lb. Its all useless if the vehicle doesn't get lowered on to the stand with full weight of the car on them. This is the only way to achieve stability. This is why it is safer to lay down the tire under the frame rails because the tire cant tip over. I have witnessed a 15 ton rated stand fold up under the wrong conditions. It had about 4000lbs of unstable weight on it. The stand only works vertically.

Meh. I ve used cinder block for years. 2 conditions however.

1: the blocks are used as they would be used in a wall, cores up.

2:pieces of wood on top of the blocks and against the bearing points.

I spent 10 yrs blocking and shoring ships. A ship in a graving dock is resting on cement blocks capped by white oak dunnage.

Hey Pop Rivit.How much did that lift set you back?I would love to have something like that.I also would like to have whats on the lift!!

Quote:
Meh. I ve used cinder block for years. 2 conditions however.

1: the blocks are used as they would be used in a wall, cores up.

2:pieces of wood on top of the blocks and against the bearing points.

I'm with him on both counts.

Those HF Jack Stand Pads are *expensive*; you could probably buy the Jack Stand cheaper than those pads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back