Plastic bumpers & trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Whats a good product for black bumpers and ext plastics? Mid 2000's suzuki suv. Kinda faded now, would like to make it jet black again. Have turtle wax exterior trim restore atm, but its a few yesrs old. Safe to use?thx.

Most off-the-shelf products will just add some temporary depth/shine back in. Nothing wrong with that, but as the product dissolves/evaporates/melts, the dull color returns.

There are some actual "dye" products that will re-stain it a deep black, such as Forever Black. We used it on my brother's G20 years ago and it did look a lot better afterwards.

My advice would be to re-stain it with one of those dyes, then stay on top of the protection by spraying it with a UV protectant periodically. 303 Aerospace Protectant is quite durable and targeted specifically at this use. I've had fantastic results with it for many years.

Black WOW has a great reputation. But comes at a price.
(No experience personally).
Auto Finesse Revive seems to be one of the newer 'restorers'/protectants, which is becoming popular, also.

I have used 1z deep cleaner - it's more of a cleaner/protector, but I don't think it adds any color or restores much.

I like the Chemical Guys Black on Black product for my Ford 150 XL, but I started off new. I don't like the price, but it goes on sale often enough, if you like it.

I find using a strong degreaser like Simple Green or Greased lightning to clean trim gets out contaminants like cheap wax which can whiten the plastic.

Then what I've found really works is a couple things Turtle Wax Ice Polish works, wipe on let dry and buff to a shine. And Recently I've bought an old school product. Johnson Paste Wax and tried it on plastic. People assume wax will turn plastic white and chalky looking. Well this wax actually makes the plastic look new again and doesn't attract dust. Wipe on and buff off immediately and it really gives a nice and waterproof gloss to the plastic.

Adam's Super VRT (vinyl, rubber, and tires) is excellent. It's not sticky at all and it lasts a long time, even through several rains and car washes.

Meguiar's Ultimate Black worked well for me. I applied to my Sienna 6 weeks ago, still looks new. I am sure it will wear off, but I will be more than happy to re-apply. The stuff looks great, smells great. I use on interior trim too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back