Plastic bathtub crack fox?

Hi all,

I was asked recently by maintenance people that I work for. We have plastic bathtubs that are cracking, and was curious if anyone here has successfully repaired one. I see a few kits from devcon and see reviews of everything from "Terrible " to "works great still holding."

The usual reason these tubs crack is that the installer did not put them in with the correct base which is usually a mortar mix so the tub bottom won’t flex.

The proper fix is to remove and replace the tub with the proper installation.

Aren’t they actually fiberglass? I had a crack in mine and had a professional come out and fix it. It cost me $50. The cracks are usually caused because, the tub doesn’t fit well in the pan.

Ahhh yes, the Crack Fox, that was a decent Boosh episode.
1652911718782.jpg

Tubs come in several different materials. I just bought 2 in the last year. Smaller tubs / surrounds are made from blow molded acrylic, and larger one piece units are usually fiberglass. Also, you have to make note of what the manufacturer recommends for cleaning. Acrylic can be seriously damaged with the wrong cleaners, and fiberglass units gelcoat can be scratched with abrasive cleaners and sponges. These new units / materials are not the same as your Grand Dad's porcelain finished cast iron.

Back