Plasma/LED/LCD BIG SCREENS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you go to the store and look at the picture side by side. TV with higher resolution sometimes bring out the un-intensiola detail like noise. Some company apply better noise reduction to get rid of the noise yet maintain the picture detail, some went too far and the pictures are smudge out and make human being look like mannequin.

Also, save some money for speakers. There aren't enough room to have a nice speakers in today TVs. You'll likely crave for a better sound afterwards, be it a simple 2.1 or going all out to a nice 5.1.

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
Make sure you go to the store and look at the picture side by side. TV with higher resolution sometimes bring out the un-intensiola detail like noise. Some company apply better noise reduction to get rid of the noise yet maintain the picture detail, some went too far and the pictures are smudge out and make human being look like mannequin.

Also, save some money for speakers. There aren't enough room to have a nice speakers in today TVs. You'll likely crave for a better sound afterwards, be it a simple 2.1 or going all out to a nice 5.1.

Good Luck

appreciate your input, as far as sound goes look at page 2 of this thread.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I would buy it.

Im taking cash with me, got a pretty good feeling this tv's probably coming home with me. I will post up again Monday and let everyone know what i decided.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Unless price is a limiting factor, I have no idea why anyone would purchase a plasma set in March of 2012.

Because the optimum viewing angle on LCD, while improved, still stinks compared to plasma. A plasma delivers a great picture from everywhere in the room. And the best plasma panels still have better color fidelity than the best LCDs. Overdriven store displays are not a good judge.

For the OP: how many are viewing and from where are factors to consider. If it's a wide viewing range, you will do better with a plasma. Go just outside the sweet spot, and LCD's color and contrast levels fall off the table. That sweet spot is BOTH vertical and horizontal, so a tilting mount is much more essential with an LCD (which makes for a less flush wall install).

OTOH, if it's just one person planted in a chair right in the sweet spot, then LCD becomes a more competitive option.

We have both plasma and LCD here. And when it's movie time, one is the clear favorite.

this Tv will be in our family room that is approx 14ft wide by 20 foot long, the tv will be mounted on the 14ft wide wall and all viewing angles are what id call "sweet spot seats" with the tv mounted at around 5 ft up on the wall (5 foot centered) everyone in the room will have a perfect view.. so take angle out of the consideration..

Plasma is still superior. They have fixed the issues with plasma over the years. Burn in is pretty much a non issue, they no longer put out much more heat than an lcd and the estimated energy cost to operate my 60" panasonic plasma was $22 a year.

Plasmas have superior black levels (this is the most important aspect), richer truer colors, zero lag. I returned a new 60" sharp aquos 240hz TV around this past thanksgiving. Paid over $1900 for it and the black levels were sub par and it had light blotches on a dark screen. The motion blur just about made me sick to my stomach. A passed football looked like 1 football with 4 ghostly faded looking footballs behind it. 240hz LCD's are NOT really 240hz. They just stick extra images in between each frame. That is NOT true 240hz. Took it back and did some research and found that the newer plasmas are far superior. Bought the panasonic for $1300 and it absolutely blows away the more costly 240hz Aquos. Plasmas produce a much more realistic image than an LCD. Now if you are the type that likes that super bright unrealistic super bright poping out of the screen image than an lcd might be for you. But for anybody like likes a rich realistic image plasma wins hands down.

Last edited:
I own an electronics shop work on tvs every day if you want a good picture good color good contrast go plasma they have 600hz refresh rate. new plasmas have no burn problem as old ones had. leds have a line of leds around panel to brighten picture but they are supped up lcds an leds wash out picture. go with a name brand no unheard of brands you can not find parts. do not listen to sales people they are full of bull $h#t

Thanks for everyones input, i brought home the samsung 58' plasma Saturday evening.. AMAZING PICTURE, i also got a tv stand that he paid $200.00 on sale. Im using the tv stand to hold the sat-reciever audio reciever & Blue-ray player. As mentioned before i already had ordered a wall mount off amazon and it mounted up to my wall perfectly with little trouble (other than lifting the actual weight of the tv (wife didnt enjoy it) But were both enjoying this tv.. Just a amazing picture.. for $500.00 i didnt get hurt one bit !!

Im going to use my MTX 60i monitors up front for L & R

considering replacing my optimus PRO center with something more streemlined, "slim"

trying to decide to go 14 or 16 ga for a 20 ft stretch (through crawlspace) then behind wall up 5-6 foot to rear speakers

Im on all the sites looking to replace my rear bookshelf polks now.. with something that blends well on a wall for rears (something in a white)

all powered with a 6 year old Sony 240w 7.1 reciever (no HDMI) only fiber optic RCA, s-vid input options.. so down the road consider a new reciever as well..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Thanks for everyones input, i brought home the samsung 58' plasma Saturday evening.. AMAZING PICTURE, i also got a tv stand that he paid $200.00 on sale. Im using the tv stand to hold the sat-reciever audio reciever & Blue-ray player. As mentioned before i already had ordered a wall mount off amazon and it mounted up to my wall perfectly with little trouble (other than lifting the actual weight of the tv (wife didnt enjoy it) But were both enjoying this tv.. Just a amazing picture.. for $500.00 i didnt get hurt one bit !!

. . .

Great that you went with a plasma. You won't regret it. The top line plasmas still have the best quality picture.

If the Sammy is still eligible for extended warranty, that might be a good consideration.

volvo & t-bird , great tips, will do ! got any suggestions for small (big sound) rears and a slim center channel ? before the years out may consider a new tuner with HDMI's suggestions ?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You need something small and white? Try Def Tech.

nice stuff, i have a feeling if i were to buy any of there products it would spoil me into buying ALL there products, $4,500 hmmm pretty wife probably would not approve
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Cool - now find some professional calibration settings for that model on AVSForum and adjust pic quality!

That's always a good idea. Factory settings (even in movie mode) tend to be way too hot with excessive contrast levels.

We calibrated our already THX color certified Panny, and it took it to yet another level. Really fantastic color rendering, almost film photographic at times. It probably still delivers a better picture than the very best of today's new uncalibrated sets.

Calibration is a very worthwhile tweak and worth the effort.

I did this and its funny, when i brought the tv home i did this with my own eye, then i printed out directions and settings last nite, suprised the suggestions were not far off wheat i had it set to.. Q: are you wearing out the tv any faster leaving it in movie mode all the time ?, I notice the screen/pic is much brighter in this mode, just makes me wonder if the tv is working much harder ?

A well-calibrated picture is almost always less bright and driven than the default factory settings. The same is usually so with movie or "cinema" preset modes in my experience. All our calibrated sets typically run at least 10% down from factory default brightness settings. In fact, a calibrated picture actually takes getting used to if you've grown accustomed to factory TV settings (at first glance, they often appear dimmer).

I don't think running a modern plasma in a standard (non-demo store mode) setting is going to adversely affect panel life in a meaningful way. And a calibrated panel should be even less aggressive than the factory standard. I don't know why yours is running brighter/hotter than normal in a movie mode.

It's the demo mode that the store sets endure that can drive the panels a little harder than normal. They run them really hot in the stores to wow the shoppers, but it offends most eyes once you get them home in that mode.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You need something small and white? Try Def Tech.

well i did some replacing/installing

the tv is wall hung with a new power outlet installed behind the tv. All wires, hdmi, fiber optic ect are all in wall behind tv.
the entire 5.1 surround wireing is in wall, with a new power outlet installed under my stairs for the hidden 200w 12'sub.

I replaced my dated optimus center with a Polk Audio CS10 center, mounted above the tv.

Polk bookshelves are now my L & R and sound fantastic with the Center.

Ive got a new set of polk RM6751 satalites with white mounts on the way from amazon for my rears, i have little doubt they will sound great with the rest of the system

every speaker location now has a 1 gang low volt box with cover.

spent 17 hours fishing wires, installing new outlets, ect..

one clean install !

sorry, completely forgot about this till just now, when i get off work i will see if i can upload to BITOG from Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back