Planning a Vacation...

So we have been plonking down 100$ each a week for a few months for a major vacation.
Wife loves disney:censored:.
But other options like Island vacations exist. What would be the best with a budget of around $3000-$5000
And if anyone uses a company that helps with this .. feel free to name drop.
For example I priced out at costco 7 days with a 5 day disney world pass at around $3000 including hotel, flights, and rental car.. but not food.
would also get kickbacks of around 300-400 for using costco and a few perks.

I dont need advice on saving or investing ;).

We did Hawaii 5 years ago.. nothing else major in 10+ years.

I wouldnt mind a beach vacation(Destin beach?) with maybe a couple day stop on the way.

Could get upto 9-10 days off. Could drive or fly.
If using my example Destin Beach, maybe a layover for a day or 2 in Nashville since we have never been there.

Have you been to Disney in a while? I keep hearing the quality isn't what it used to be, but I suppose what is these days.

It's been about 8yrs since we visited. My favorites have always been magic kingdom and epcot. For that it's best to stay in one of the resorts that's on the monorail.

Have you been to Disney in a while? I keep hearing the quality isn't what it used to be, but I suppose what is these days.

It's been about 8yrs since we visited. My favorites have always been magic kingdom and epcot. For that it's best to stay in one of the resorts that's on the monorail.
1997 for me, 2001? for her.
Coworker was suggesting +Universal. She went last year with her kids and grandkids. Told me a story about a 1200$ buffet bill. o_O
Mostly we just do mini trips for 2-3-4 days. Example Gettysburg, Pittsburgh, Niagara Falls, Kincardine, Pigeonforge/Gatlinburg, flight 93 memorial etc.
I do have a boatload of Chase points 120000 or so.. They convert quite favorably at hyatt.. others not so much.

Last edited:
Narrowing it down to the primary purpose of mountains/ocean/natural beauty vs event/destination/entertainment would help. Of course you can have a little of it all but Disney is not beautiful like a hike in the mountains. Sounds like the wife likes a destination that's an experience vs chasing nature? Also if you like being active when you travel vs sitting on your butt relaxing makes a difference in destination too.

Kids? We always go to Myrtle Beach aka the redneck riviera. Tons of food options, all kinds of stuff to do besides the beach. Best prices for a decent hotel on the East Coast. Recommend the Ripleys Aquarium, Pelicans baseball game, skywheel, the Gay dolphin (fun shopping place). Nice boardwalk and even a nice state park nearby for hiking.

I’m looking at a week in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I’ll probably stay at the Secrets Cap Cana in an oceanfront room. Through Costco, with first class airfare, transport from airport to hotel and all inclusive it’s like $5,900ish, for reference. Also includes a $300 or $400 Costco cash card for booking.

If you fly economy that probably knocks $1,500 or so off and I’ve always liked the Secrets properties.

Can you post what you like to do on vacation? I stay in Wakaki a dozen times per year for work. Millions of people vacation there annually, and love Wakaki. For me, I can't imagine a vacation there. are you wanting to be with the crowds or get away from stress/ people? Do you want sunshine? Do you want to eat large? Is personal safety a major concern? Do you want to go into the water? Do you like wine? Want to do something/ experience something you have never done before?

Please consider posting more information, lots of BITOGERs will provide great ideas, but more information about your wants will be helpful. And of note, if flying can you fly on Tuesdays? One can often fly first class on Tuesday for less than economy on a Sunday.....

Here is a crazy plan without knowing your preferences:

Fly into SNA/ Orange County. Stay two or three days in a Orange County hotel and eat like a king. Do a road trip to Hearst castle, and stay a day or two in Monterrey. Head up to Healdsburg wine country for a few days. Travel back to the bay area and do the San Francisco tourist stuff, fly home out of SJC/OAK/SFO, whichever has cheapest first class to get home. Note this is an adult vacation. I know you like good coffee, this a like a awesome cup of coffee...

Last edited:
I'd also avoid theme parks. Mostly due to the cost and reduced value for what you are getting.
5-10 years ago it was steep. I couldnt' imagine what it's like now.

I also agree with others' suggestion for Asia. I've generally avoided it, but Vietnam is sounding nice.
Especially for the value of what you get.
Since I'm a visible minority (who nobody can determine my ethnic background) I am able to effortlessly blend in with various minorities in several parts of the world.
As a result, I can feel comfortable in places that most will shy away from.

I’ve used Apple Vacations before. Just don’t use them for airfare; just book your hotel with them. You can typically get a week in the Dominican Republic for about $700-900 per person per week (plus transport).

If you want theme park - I would do the two Universal Parks over Disney - unless you have very little kids. Universal is building a new park opening in 2025, so if you wait till then there will be a third, and the other two will be empty, so win win either way.

Beach vacation - you could spend a bunch of money and go to the Caribbean - super nice, not that far away. However if no kids, Hilton Head Island, Jekyll or St. Simon's island will be all but empty by mid September and fairly cheap, waters great still.

I personally would skip the redneck riviera. Nothing wrong with it, but if your spending a lot of money to get there - there are plenty of better places in Florida - Clearwater Beach if you want a beach and a party, or if not maybe Sanibel or Captiva have recovered from the Hurricane, if not Anna Maria island or somewhere in that area.

Long road trip? Rent a new Vette, get a years Nat. Park pass and do a park tour. I did that a few years ago except it was an 18 5.0 Performance Package. Did Zion, Bryce, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons (this one was sort of a drive-by). Took some back roads, too, so I wasn't just doing interstates. I enjoyed it VERY much and the car. So much so that I ended up buying the exact car the next year. Not my fault if you end up getting a Vette if you do this!;)

Look into staying on Catalina Island for a few days and spend a few days in LA for Disneyland and or Knott's Berry Farm.

So we have been plonking down 100$ each a week for a few months for a major vacation.
Wife loves disney:censored:.
But other options like Island vacations exist. What would be the best with a budget of around $3000-$5000
And if anyone uses a company that helps with this .. feel free to name drop.
For example I priced out at costco 7 days with a 5 day disney world pass at around $3000 including hotel, flights, and rental car.. but not food.
would also get kickbacks of around 300-400 for using costco and a few perks.

I dont need advice on saving or investing ;).

We did Hawaii 5 years ago.. nothing else major in 10+ years.

I wouldnt mind a beach vacation(Destin beach?) with maybe a couple day stop on the way.

Could get upto 9-10 days off. Could drive or fly.
If using my example Destin Beach, maybe a layover for a day or 2 in Nashville since we have never been there.
Have you considered Colorado? There's tons of stuff to see. Everything from the plains to the rockies. Devils Tower is 5 hrs north of me, new Mexico etc. Does your credit card company offer any deals? If you have a Visa Black card or Amed Century they can set up vacation but most people don't have those.

We went to Destin last spring and stayed at a VRBO rental. All 6 of us had rooms and all amenities. That was the second time we used them. Its much nicer than a hotel in our opinion. For me Destin is too crowded. Give me a small motel in Treasure Island across the road from the beach.

Hilo Hawaii - countryside - VRBO or the like

Southern Italy - countryside - ditto

Shoulder season

Very much DIY, VERY laid back, both you need some lingo, but not a lot..........

Last edited:
We have our Waikiki in winter and Vegas in spring or summer routine going for the last two years. Waikiki and Oahu are great, Sherwood beach park is our favorite beach and the north shore for shrimp trucks. We don't gamble but there's lots to do in Vegas, we saw Rod Stewart and a Golden Knights game last May. We try and stay at a place with a nice pool (the Mirage last time) and sit at the pool for a few hours a day having drinks.

We did Clearwater beach for a week and drove to Universal for the last part of our trip years ago. That was a good one as well.

Florida Keys/Miami are on my haven't been and want to go list.

I use Expedia, Kayak, and airline websites to compare prices before booking. I've canceled and rebooked a lot of car rentals as the prices drop, so watch for that.

The theme parks are always fun, but be aware I'm hearing that the wait for a certain ride recently reached the 7 hour mark. That's a first. There are options such as the "Lightning Lane" or other such expenses. Whether it's worth the additional cost for the LL on just 2 rides, is another matter.

I won't go to theme parks anymore, as it costs a fortune to spend the day waiting in line, only to experience a handful of rides.

Back