Yet another Mattress thread / question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine a 12-year-old mattress not being saggy and causing back and sleep problems. In my house, every mattress gets flipped and rotated four times a year to prevent uneven wear. Everyone gets a new mattress every 5 years. I can't and don't want to imagine how many dust mites have set up shop in a >10-year-old mattress.

Got a new mattress 6 months ago. A Nest medium foam mattress, no gel, no memory foam, no latex, no spring. Wife tried everything that has a show room and concluded that gel, memory foam, latex etc actually causes more pain. Poly foam is good and so is spring. Researched on mattress underground to see what construction is durable (1.8lb poly foam or higher density comfort layer) and we conclude that most good reputable medium foam mattress in a box, with 2" comfort layer, will work well. We picked Nest because they have a show room nearby instead of buying untested like Addable or Tuft and Needle, to me that's worth the extra $50 or so to reduced chances of something not working out.

We figure a refresh every 10 years on a cheap foam mattress is better than finding a perfect mattress double the price and use it for 20 years. We can "cut" the King in half as 2 twins and pass on to 2 teenage daughters by then, or whenever wife's back say it is time for another new one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Got a new mattress 6 months ago. A Nest medium foam mattress, no gel, no memory foam, no latex, no spring. Wife tried everything that has a show room and concluded that gel, memory foam, latex etc actually causes more pain. Poly foam is good and so is spring. Researched on mattress underground to see what construction is durable (1.8lb poly foam or higher density comfort layer) and we conclude that most good reputable medium foam mattress in a box, with 2" comfort layer, will work well. We picked Nest because they have a show room nearby instead of buying untested like Addable or Tuft and Needle, to me that's worth the extra $50 or so to reduced chances of something not working out.

We figure a refresh every 10 years on a cheap foam mattress is better than finding a perfect mattress double the price and use it for 20 years. We can "cut" the King in half as 2 twins and pass on to 2 teenage daughters by then, or whenever wife's back say it is time for another new one.

Cannot find your Nest medium foam mattress online. All I found is Memory foam. Please be specific of the model you have.

I had a 3" foam topper on my old king, and when I got a new mattress I threw the topper on the floor of the den to get it out of my way. I planned to toss it, but having the floor covered in 3" of foam and a sheet provide irresistible to the cats, dogs, and kids. Long story short, we have had a King topper on the floor for a few years now.

We just roll it up and vacuum and put it back down. Change the sheets weekly and replace it when it wears out. Many many sleepovers and movie nights have happened down there. I have come down several mornings to find a gaggle of teenage girls sleeping on the couches and floor. (one is usually my daughter)

I can advise reading a useful review of mattress toppers, moreover, this site has cool feature - if you subscribe, they notify you about sales on amazon, I found it convenient and handy, especially if you're limited on a budget, here is the link

Bedroom mattress, gosh, after 30 plus years I finally figured it out, simplest thing in the world.
Buy a mattress that you and your wife/other can adjust.

Its that simple, one side can adjust comfort the way they like it, you can adjust comfort the way you like it. So what's to think about?
Best, best, best part of it all, the mattress NEVER starts to sag. Why? its filled with air. Push a button to make it softer or harder.

Amazing it took me all these years to figure out. You dont even need to go to the store if you dont want to, what are you going to find out by doing that?
Answer = Nothing. All your doing is buying a mattress that adjusts with air, so it will always be comfortable the way you like it. Beats going to the store laying on a mattress for 5 minutes and thinking you will feel the same way about it after sleeping on it for 5 plus hours!

With that said, we did/do and intended too, once we got it, to "modify" it. That is the REALLY cool part, we bought the "basic" for lack of a better word and added out own memory foam layer, why?
Because after trying a couple memory foams we could simply return the ones we didnt like. Even better, as the bed ages, if the memory foam ever starts to get compressed with age, take it off and replace.

Ok, all I know, which AMAZES me, are two brands sold in this country BUT I do see (just now a 3rd well known company but cost is in the thousands)

We Bought/own a Dual Digital Princeton Eurostyle Air Bed from Sams Club, site unseen we ordered it online, delivered free and if we ever didnt want it could drive it to our local Sams Club.
This mattress was the best freaking investment in our lives, wife and I love it and for me, no hurting back in the morning.

This is the one from Sams Club - click
With the above said, with some searching the internet there are others ... I am wondering if Sams is going to continue selling them, choice is limited right now but may have seen that before, not sure, cant remember who makes it. But believe "Personal Comfort" it won't be found at American Sleep, I think because of Sams Club selling under one name. Yup, Im sure its this https://www.personalcomfortbed.com/number-beds/classic-series/a2

or

Simply go to any Sleep Number Store and Get almost the same thing. I Like ours from Sams club because the company that makes them is a more commercial part of the bedding world (from what I remember at the time) Stuff seems pretty heavy duty. But dont get me wrong, we liked the Sleep Number too, in fact we had it ordered and cancelled once we found the Sams Club.
I didnt like the return policy on the Sleep Number, it could cost you hundreds of dollars in shipping costs.
But without question I would buy one as a second choice or first choice.

Again, for us, the most basic model it was as far as bed, the reason for this is we then went out and customized it ourselves with a Serta mattress topper, we had fun doing that, tried about 4 or 5, or 6 different ones from all companies. Serta was the one for sure, LOVE IT. Air bed is air, it will never "sink" if topper sinks in a few years, replace it, what a concept!

My whole life I bought good quality mattresses and even a top rated Foam Mattress, the foam mattress took us up the the next level as far as comfort but a couple years later and you started to notice slight sagging.
Finally, the air bed fixed it all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back