Plan for My Engine's Longevity - Please Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could choose what I do for all the older high-mileage cars we buy. Change to full synthetic oil with Wix or NAPA Gold filter, change all hoses and tubing and PCV valve. New thermostat and cooling system flush. Drain and fill transmission till fluid is bright red. Flush brake and PS fluids. Have mechanic you know and trust put the car on a lift and do thorough inspection and then test drive.

And if you are a real worrier, buy a ScanGauge II from Amazon and Velcro it to your dash. It will give you access to all the real-time data your OBD system puts out as you drive. You can concentrate on that rather than worrying if something is wrong. Have one on my daughter's Volvo. Don't know if she ever looks at it, but it makes me feel better.

You're seriously worried about engine longevity????? The car is 17 years old and has over a quarter million miles on it.

How much longer do you really expect it to last?

What about ball joints? Shocks, brakes, tires, transmission, a/c??

Originally Posted By: maximus
You're seriously worried about engine longevity????? The car is 17 years old and has over a quarter million miles on it.

How much longer do you really expect it to last?

What about ball joints? Shocks, brakes, tires, transmission, a/c??

+1 keep feeding it QS and a decent well priced filter (carquest, microguard, driveworks) i like these three if im wanting to spend less than $5 on a filter.

do this every 5k and the engine will still be running well when something else puts the car out of commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back