Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicagoans purchase entire pizzas. I really can't remember buying a single slice of Pizza before I went to the county fair.

BTW...Gino's East is the best pizza on the planet!!!

Lou Malnati's is my favorite so far still. Yes I've have Gino's.

I can't tell you the cost of a slice NOW much less any other time. Only remember buying slices at Taste of Chicago. Or maybe with high school lunches but that pizza was disgusting.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Really on the west coast people don't buy it by the slice.

I remember this place at the old Arden Mall in Sacramento called Fat Ducks Pizza, pizza by the slice. Also in Berkeley, off Telegraph Ave, pizza by the slice. I think some of the food courts in the malls now have pizza by the slice. Never sampled the product by the slice.

quote:

Never sampled the product by the slice.

My point, exactly.
cool.gif

I remember, in around grade 4 or 5, me and a couple friends would attend the local Pizza Hut on a fairly regular basis over lunch hour, just a couple blocks from our school. We would order a $2 Personal Pan Pepperoni pizza and a Pepsi, and use a 2 for 1 coupon on the Pizzas.

Usually came out to being around $2.25 for a Personal Pan Pepperoni, and a medium Pepsi.

The challenge was always to get them to make the pizzas fresh, as opposed to the pre-made pizzas that they make up on the late shift and throw into the fridge to be cooked the next day. Usually they would oblige.

BTW, anyone have kind words or any recommendations with respect to the "California Pizza Kitchen"? I have about 3 hours at LAX next month, and thus far, they seem like one of the more interesting restaurants. I know airport food is always expensive, but since I am arriving from an international flight, US Customs doesn't allow for importation of food, and I need to eat something as I have a 6 hour overnight transcon with no food ahead of me.

75c a slice, 25c for a topping... North Jersey Pizza with the dough trucked in from NYC daily, using Pallisades water...

JMH

california pizza kitchen came to Houston a few years ago. Died a massive and horrible death, evidently Houstonians don't go for tofoofoo pizza.

"interesting" would be a polite word to use. Bizarre would be more correct. It's not the pizza of your childhood memories. Maybe of your childhood nightmares, perhaps.

But, sure go ahead, try it. 4 million Houstonians could be wrong....

With oil at $65 pizza peeps are gonna stop eating Pizza and it will be extinct.

Pizza wasn't very common before say 1965 or so here in Pa. I recall that "Toney's" frozen Pizza in the early 70's were around $1.50 or so.

I vaguely remember, in northern NJ in the early 1960s, entire plain pizzas sold for about $1.50 and a slice was a quarter.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Outside of NYC, it's another country out there.

How true that is Groucho. I remember 25 cents a slice everywhere in the 60's. I remember a price war on the Grand Concourse south of Fordham Road circa 1968 when one shop was 15 cents and the shop 3 doors down was a dime a slice. (This was near the Loews Paradise Theatre for anyone who knew the Bronx). When you taste 'real' NYC pizza you'd never eat the chain store stuff. I'm talking about pizza made by someone named Angelo (or Sal) with a real Italian accent. Nowadays the guy is just as likely to be Albanian or even Mexican but the pizza is still GREAT.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
But, sure go ahead, try it. 4 million Houstonians could be wrong....

Hehe, they were about Enron..

Anyways, thanks for the advice, they have a pretty diverse menu, with items such as BBQ pizza, Pepperoni, cheese, among others, and of course, the exotic items.

quote:

Alexander's department store at Fordham Road and the Grand Concourse.

Jan's ice cream on Kingsbridge nd the Concourse?

Hey Groucho we're homeys. Don't forget SEARS on Fordham and Webster and RKO Theatre on Fordham and Valentine Ave. A few blocks east was Belmont Ave. home of Dion and the Belmonts. That was a great nabe in the 60's but it started to change in the 70's. I often worked in the firehouse on 183 St and Jerome Ave. in the early 80's-at that time it was the busiest firehouse in the world doing approx. 10000 runs a year. I often went to 3 or 4 big 'jobs' in a tour. Ahh the old days when the Bronx was burning.

For those who have not had the experience, there is nothing as good as a NY Metropolitan area pizza. Its a regional thing. Just go to Massachusetts, where the Italian-American population is just as prevalent as in NYC, and the pizza just does not match it.

I guess the New York mob that controls the sale of ingredients to NY area pizzerias has better quality control than the "independent" pizza makers outside NY.

And "franchise" pizza? Fuhgeddaboudit!!!

And in Italy, what passes as a pizza would never cut it in New York.

Which leads to an old joke:

Q. - Why are pizzas better in New York than in Italy?

A. - In New York, they use imported mozzarella, but in Italy, they use domestic.

Local pizza joint in the high school days...... can't remember the pizza price but they had a lunch special: free all-you-can-eat salad bar with purchase.

Cool!!!!!!

Buy a small soda pop for 15-cents then dig in.

Manager whined, I ate.

After a couple months and the lunch crowd grew they stopped the deal. Sold a lotta' small soda pops for awhile, though.

Northern California..... one of the available toppings was linguicia... a Portugese sausage.

Yummy!!!!!!!!!

Here in the cultural backwater the pizza dudes look at you funny if mentioning a topping other than sausage or hamburger. Mention linguicia and the yokels think you've insulted them and wanna' fight.

Heathens.

quote:

pbm,

My father owned a "Blarney Stone" on Fordham and Webster.

Groucho: In the mid 70's we used to go to the K&R (Killarney Rock I think) on Webster south of Fordham. They had 5 beers (draught) for a dollar
on Thursday nights. This was when the legal age was 18 and money was tight. The competition between the locals and the Fordham U jocks for the Fordham U coeds ensured it was always 'a bucket o blood'. I think the BS was just north of Fordham Rd?

Back ON TOPIC: Excellent pizza can be found all over NYC (and now even in the suburbs). I have never found the pizza out of NYC to be anything close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back