Pirelli Scorpion ATR tire feedback

A lot of the new F-150s are using the Pirelli Scorpion ATR as their OEM tire. I'm seeing it on most of the 4WD models except the Platinum and Limited which use a Hankook Dynapro AT2 instead. It looks like this is an older tire (Tire Rack tests are from 2006!) and it falls near the bottom against everything else in the category, no doubt because of how old it is. Doesn't appear to be a bad tire per se, but it has simply been passed by newer designs.

I'll probably drive on it for a bit but wanted to see if this tire is worth removing right away and replacing with something more modern. Can any owners of this tire chime in?

The amount of off road driving I do is probably 100 yards a year, and it doesn't snow any appreciable amount down here either -- February of 2021 excluded when we had our storm of the century.

Its an average tire at best. Run it for a few months and you can always sell them if you decide to upgrade.

Pirelli has some good tires , but AT tires arent one of them.

Last edited:
My 85 Rabbit GTI had Pirellis stock. My 1986 ATK 406 had Pirellis stock. My 2020 KTM1290 Super Adventure S had Pirellis stock. My son put a set on his WRX STi, winter tires IIRC. My experience is, once the t*ts are gone, they're done. Great tires until then. YMMV. I do know people that love em though.

Its an average tire at best. Run it for a few months and you can always sell them if you decide to upgrade.

Pirelli has some good tires , but AT tires arent one of them.

Are you speaking from experience? Because I have them on a RAM 1500 and find them to be excellent in all applications. Quiet, comfortable, and loads of grip, but plenty aggressive. I've run them in summer and winter now and have been satisfied with how they perform.

Are you speaking from experience? Because I have them on a RAM 1500 and find them to be excellent in all applications. Quiet, comfortable, and loads of grip, but plenty aggressive. I've run them in summer and winter now and have been satisfied with how they perform.
Yes, Although my experience was with the ATR not the PLUS model. or your OEM ATR model which is also different.
The ATR Plus arent a standout tire. They performed mid pack or lower in almost all testing.

Which doesnt mean they are terrible.. just that for the same money there are significantly better options.

I would say the same about the OEM firestone destination AT tires.. I thought they were decent but
if I was buying there are better options

I installed the old style scorpion ATR on my old AWD Escalade EXT and they were good tires. They were not as aggressive looking as most AT tires but they ran smooth on road. When I needed tires for my Avalanche 4x4 I looked at Pirelli and they had the new style scorpion AT plus which is more aggressive and looks cool. I drove from Los Angeles to Texas, some off roading in TX, then back to LA. The tires performed perfect. Anyway, I recommend using the scorpions until they wear out.

Back