Pink Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 1969 Camaro that came with an Aluminum Radiator(don't know the brand, its not on it anywhere) and aluminum heads/intake. I was getting the car ready for winter storage and tested the coolant and it didn't go past 0 to -12 degrees F, which I thought was low. Problem is that the coolant is a transparent pink color. Does anyone know what kind of coolant this is? I am assuming that it is for compatibility with aluminum, bit i have never seen a coolant color like this. After some research, the only pink coolant I could find were from VW and Toyota. I don't see why they would have put these in there, so is there any other brands that are pink that i don't know of? If I should switch the coolant out to a different brand, which one(s) are best to use for the aluminum Rad./Heads?
Also, I read somewhere that an open cooling system is not good for aluminum. Can someone explain why and is this only for certain coolants or all of them? My car has what looks like the cap that came with the radiator and an over flow hose that just runs to underneath the car. No overflow tank. thanks for the help.

VW, Audi, and Porsche use the pink "lifetime" antifreeze known widely as G12. You can buy it as Pentosin also which I understand is the manufacturer but you can buy for $19-$24/gallon from vw dealer which is probably cheaper than buying as pentosin. It is good stuff. Porsche thinks it's so good that they says it never needs to be changed (hogwash!). As I understand it, it is especially good with wear and corrosion on aluminum heads, etc. but I am no expert so someone here can say more.

I have also heard very good things about mercedes pale orange coolant (G05 as I understand it) which when I used to buy it was labelled as "anticorrosion fluid" not antifreeze (now I think it is called anticorrosion/antifreeze conentrate or something like that). I have heard of old mercedes that have never been changed for 15years and the inside of the cooling system looks like new, also there is a good story here http://www.thesaabsite.com/Coolantinfo.htm

I reasearched it a lot and decided that for my cars the mercedes or G12 is the best option. I don't care about price at all I am interested in is which will provide the best wear and corrosion protection. I am still curious as to whether the G12 is really better than Mercedes (my research shows that it is but I'm not yet convinced). Presently I am using G12 in all my cars.

IIRC, the VW G12 is a OAT coolant similar to dexcool. That could explain why it is in there, being a GM product.
02.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: saaber1
VW, Audi, and Porsche use the pink "lifetime" antifreeze known widely as G12. You can buy it as Pentosin also which I understand is the manufacturer but you can buy for $19-$24/gallon from vw dealer which is probably cheaper than buying as pentosin. It is good stuff. Porsche thinks it's so good that they says it never needs to be changed (hogwash!). As I understand it, it is especially good with wear and corrosion on aluminum heads, etc. but I am no expert so someone here can say more.

I have also heard very good things about mercedes pale orange coolant (G05 as I understand it) which when I used to buy it was labelled as "anticorrosion fluid" not antifreeze (now I think it is called anticorrosion/antifreeze conentrate or something like that). I have heard of old mercedes that have never been changed for 15years and the inside of the cooling system looks like new, also there is a good story here http://www.thesaabsite.com/Coolantinfo.htm

I reasearched it a lot and decided that for my cars the mercedes or G12 is the best option. I don't care about price at all I am interested in is which will provide the best wear and corrosion protection. I am still curious as to whether the G12 is really better than Mercedes (my research shows that it is but I'm not yet convinced). Presently I am using G12 in all my cars.

For a couple years G12 Plus, which is violet, has been available. The chemistry of G12 Plus allows it to be mixed with G11 and G12. That is especially useful if switching an older car from G11 to G12 Plus, because it is very difficult to flush out all G11. My '96 Audi came with G11, but I switched it the same year to G12. Come the next timing belt and water pump change, I will switch to G12 Plus.

moribundman, can you tell us more about the g12 plus? I would be very interested in that. Is it better for wear/corrosion? What is the "plus"? Thanks in advance!

G12 Plus Coolant Concentrate

VW Part Number: G 012 A8F A1
Mat. Number: G 012 A8F 01
1500ml (50oz)

Suitable as a "filled-for-live" solution for all types of engines. G12 Plus can be mixed with the products G11 and G12. The product should be
used all-year-round to provide the necessary protection against frost,
overheating, corrosion and calcium deposits. Use according to instructions
only.

For temperatures down to -24°C (-11°F) mix two parts of G12 Plus to three
parts water.

For temperatures down to -36°C (-32°F) mix one part of G12 Plus to one part water.

Harmful if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with skin
and eyes. If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this
container or label.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
What are the chances that this "pink coolant" is actually RV anti-freeze!

What are the odds it's really Gatorade?

That is funny!
LOL.gif

Doubtful. Anytime you run a aluminum radiator (as in this guy's Camaro) you have to run the proper antifreeze. In this case, the old green stuff is not the right stuff, hence the pink stuff being in there.

Prestone's Dexcool equivalent looks more pink than orange when the mix is drained out. I have 3 milk jugs full, and the color looks almost exactly like the pink RV antifreeze.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
so is the Toyota Pink Super long life coolant rv antifreeze too?

Ah... remember, we did not establish that the VW-Audi coolant is RV antifreeze, and I'm EXTREMELY doubtful that it is.

Isn't RV antifreeze something that gets poured into actual human consumption water tanks to keep them from freezing? As such, it would need to be completely non-toxic. It might taste nasty, but it sure as heck better not kill anybody.

The only thing that G12 and RV antifreeze share is the color. (IMHO... please feel free to research this further if you're so inclined.)

I heard that pretty much anything pink is RV antifreeze. Pepto Bismal is RV antifreeze + buttermilk, those hostess sno balls are made from RV antifreeze and styrofoam, pink cotton candy is whipped RV anti freeze, and even those cute little stuffed easter bunnies are dipped in RV anti freeze.

My point was that if this guy was just trying to get rid of the car, no telling what he put in there. Maybe someone tried to "help" him out and put the wrong stuff in there. OP was trying to ID the fluid, I just gave him another possibility.

thanks for all the replies. i have been researching all over to find this coolant color but I can figure out what it is. I think i am just going to dump it and try to get it all out and go with something else that i know is safe for aluminum and I can get locally like G05. Thanks again

No matter what you do be sure to flush ALLLLLLL of the old coolant out before puting new coolant in.

I work for VW/Audi and I know for a fact that if G12 or G12plus is mixed with anything besides itself or water it will turn brown and clog EVERYTHING in the cooling system. Even in small amounts of mixing you will get coolant sludge. I'm replacing heater cores at an alarming rate because people think they can top off with that [censored] that claims to mix with everything. Let metell you, it DOES NOT mix well with G12 and clogs heater cores solid.

On the flip side, VW's stuff works VERY well and protects aluminum parts perfectly.

Originally Posted By: rustlerdude
I work for VW/Audi and I know for a fact that if G12 or G12plus is mixed with anything besides itself or water it will turn brown and clog EVERYTHING in the cooling system.

G12 Plus is compatible with G12 and G11. G11 and G12 are not compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back