Pine Tree Sap Removal ??

Hi there, tried to search this already, but now I ask formally:

Oldest son has a 2016 Kia Forte 5 in black. He's not a car guy. Has been working and parking his car near & and at times under the branches of a tall pine tree. Huge gobs of sap on front bumper and hood. I tried WD40, brake clean, mineral spirits, all with elbow grease. This stuff would eventually come off, but there was a layer on the paint that resisted all efforts.

What do the pro's here recommend? And yes, he will park in a safer area going forward!
Thanks, Ken

Duke's Mayonnaise, apply liberally and place a wet tissue over it and sit overnight.

[Linked Image]

I mix isopropyl alcohol 50%-50% with demineralized or distilled water in a small spray bottle. Spray the sap and then remove the glop with a microfiber cloth. Large or stubborn patches may take a few passes. Works great and there has been no paint damage on any of the cars or trucks I've done it on. I do have an extreme pine sap problem where I park in the Sierra foothills, and I have done this a lot over the last few years.

Isopropanol. But, with a black paint job you're going to have to use some care towards the end, using less and less until you wipe dry the alcohol, or you'll have a thin white layer left dried onto the black paint.

I have used Goof off successfully. Dab a microfiber towel in Goof off and wipe off gently. No elbow grease needed. I was worried if it will cause some paint issue but it was alright. My car's paint is silver though.

I found Mineral Spirits worked well after the area was washed clean. Then after the Mineral Spirits I washed the area again and waxed it with whatever wax/sealant was used prior.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
WD-40 followed by soap and water.

Long list of WD-40 followed by Dawn !

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My Favourite, though, is :

[Linked Image]

Yep, that and lighter fluid (naphtha) will dissolve it on contact, just cannot leave it on very long.

Thanks guys! I hope that he's going to avoid the Pine tree going forward. I will try IPA on the residue and see if that does the trick.

Back