Pictures : Tire damage exposed when removed from rim

Flat due to defective tire , damaged when exchanged for seasons ( not the 1st time , 2 winter tires ) , from going flat , driven on the flat tire for about a block before noticing something is off or other ? The tires have been in use for 1 year of two 6 month winters . Purchased in 2019 . May post pics of rims as well . This is related to , https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/flat-tire-discovered-tire-had.338805/ . Checked tire pressure 2 days prior and were 34 > 35 . Car was took to work by the other 1/2 the day after T.P. was checked . So , took it for granted the tires were fine the day after .Thanks
IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG
IMG_5997.JPG

"Flat due to defective tire , damaged when exchanged for seasons"

Defective or mismounted?
It sounds like you are mounting/dismounting your summer/winter tires on the same wheels.

Krzyś

looks like scuffing on the sidewall ...my guess ...damaged by the machine breaking the bead. if it were me id get some cheapo wheels and mount them once and just swap the wheels. By now cost to swap and damage would have paid for the wheels.

Yes , same wheels / rims are used for A/S and winter tires . Have done this for decades . Seems like this is becoming more common . Did have to replace two 1 year old winter tires about 3 > 4 years ago due to tire damage when removed . Couldn't pinpoint who did it . Several places were used .

Last edited:
looks like scuffing on the sidewall ...my guess ...damaged by the machine breaking the bead. if it were me id get some cheapo wheels and mount them once and just swap the wheels. By now cost to swap and damage would have paid for the wheels.
The sidewall scuffing is likely from the drive on the totally flat tire for about a block before noticing something was not right . :(

They were installed November of '20 . I checked all 4 winter tires for any damage from rim removal , all were fine . I also check the A/S for any damage before installation .

you should just put on seperate wheels.. much cheaper, no chance of damage, easier, and takes up no more space.

one time cost of 200$ ish for 4 wheels. (+ tpms sensors if wanted)

also if you have tpms its not working?

Hope you had the shop that put those tires on dismount them. Will they take responsibility?

IDK but 4 tire change twice a year for decades sounds like more $$ than 4 steel wheels. And you've had 3 tires ruined in the past few years?

How much are you paying to mount and balance 4 tires twice per year as opposed to just having a dedicated winter steel wheels for ~$200-300 depending on the wheel size? I purchased 4 16" steel wheels for about $250 for my winter setup. tires and TPMS sensors not included.

How much are you paying to mount and balance 4 tires twice per year as opposed to just having a dedicated winter steel wheels for ~$200-300 depending on the wheel size? I purchased 4 16" steel wheels for about $250 for my winter setup. tires and TPMS sensors not included.
What brand steel wheels did you buy ? And where ?

Hope you had the shop that put those tires on dismount them. Will they take responsibility?

IDK but 4 tire change twice a year for decades sounds like more $$ than 4 steel wheels. And you've had 3 tires ruined in the past few years?
Not our fault on 3 tires destruction for last 4 years . You expect care . There have been different vehicles over the years , so sizes vary .

Also , can't always get same shop due to others making appointments to get tires replaced in fall and spring . The Covid-19 hasn't helped , many have shorter hours and less days open . All about timing .

Last edited:
What brand steel wheels did you buy ? And where ?
If you're patient you can get universal 15" steelies on ebay for around $33 each, shipped. I've seen them as low as $27. They're $56 now but trust me, keep an eye out.

They do not accept toyota TPMS sensors like yours though.

I am fortunate that I have my own turntable rim clamp and wheel balancer so I take responsibility for all the mountping and dismounting procedures and I have two observations. The first pic shows the tire pretty dry. My feeling is the tire was dismounted dry With no lubricant used. I always use this tire lubricant such as Ruglyde to minimize tearing, friction, and strain on the motor. I can tell if Ruglyde was used because you see a shiny stain even when evaporated. Kinda like armor all when you know where you applied the liquid. My honest opinion based on experience is that the tech got lazy and stripped the tire dry and the tire bead got pinched as it was rotating.

The second observation is the steel rim. ”Good” shops apply a bead sealer on the inner rim bead to assure no leakage. Some do and some don’t but it also aids in the tire releasing from the rim and minimize tearing too. It looks like tar and painted on after a courtesy wire brush scrub to break away rust in that area. Shops that go above and beyond use this and I don’t see it on your rim. Although, a liberal swipe with the lubricant mop on both the rim beads tend to be sufficient enough but its just good practice nowadays.

Also note that in the first pic, the damaged rubber is folded over the steel bead. That strongly suggests the problem happened at mounting step. During dismount, the duckbill head or finger for newer machines go underneath the bead so the pattern of the damaged rubber would not look like this. Again either way, no evidence of lubricant used which would have mitigated potential snagging. If you used multiple tire shops, I think the installer during mounting step would be when the damage occurred.

I’d keep an eye on CL for rims. I’ve gotten at least 3 sets that way; one came with good snows no less. Might find a set this time of year as people start cleaning out garages or trade cars and realize their old snows no longer work on their new car.

Back