Pictures of 2004 Volvo XC70 transmission flush with questions:

I have a 2004 XC70 that has been a wonderful car over the 15 years we have owned it. It now has 170,000 miles and I have replaced a lot of parts over the years keeping it in tip top shape. Looks new inside and out still. My question is about the transmission. It is still original and I have taken care of it. I had the dealer flush it with a machine at 50,000 miles when we first bough it used as a lease return. Then a drain and fill at 81,000 miles in 2012. Then I found out about the Gibbons method on this forum and started doing those. So my transmission has been serviced like the following:
-50,000 miles-dealer flush machine(100% new ATF
-81,000 miles- drain and fill on 2/2012
-85,500 miles-Gibbons method with 14 qts on 7/2012
-115,000 miles- Gibbons method with 12 qts on 12/2015
-145,000 miles-Gibbons method with 12 qts qts on 6/2019
-171,000 miles-Gibbons method with 13 qts on 8/2022

So I try to do it about every 30,000 miles now. It always comes out a nice red color but not clear like new fluid. I use Toyota T-4 ATF. Its my wifes car and she is gentle with it and it has always shifted smooth and flawless. Based on this, how long do you think my transmission will last? How long do these go for with good maintenance. The first picture is the old fluid that came out in the beginning of the gibbons flush. The second picture is the last ATF that came out after 13 qts went through. Last couple pictures are the car.
oGPrbtB.jpg

6jdFfKE.jpg

bikegDa.jpg

ZUDk7Vp.jpg

MqXysnM.jpg

E9prW7P.jpg

Some fluids can darken faster than others. Can't tell the future but the fluid is certainly well taken care of. I don't think the early AW 5-spds in Volvos were known to be problematic if you don't floor it all the time but some had valve body issues. I don't know the exact years or models, though. But I'd say you're doing everything you can to keep the trans in good shape. There are quite a few P2 2.5T Volvos for sale near me in mid 200K mileage with the original transmission.

Still, 12 qts Type T-IV every 30K is a lot. I think you'd be just as good with just a drain and fill at those intervals. Heck before it got to me, my XC90 still had the original trans fluid at 150K. I wouldn't recommend going that long, however.

I don't know why but seeing P2 Volvos on the road makes me smile. Maybe it's because I know the loud cussing those owners also experienced when they serviced the PCV.

Last edited:
Wow you take very good care of your vehicle! The trans fluid works great too. I change the fluid in my Honda transmission every 15,000 miles because it is so easy to do. What is a Gibbons method?

@Chris B. - it’ll last as long as you want to own the car.

You may have seen this on the Volvo XC forum - https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/2002-V70-XC-Valve-Body-Replacement-Notes.pdf

I had to do the Valve body surgery on the 2002 XC at about 100,000 miles. that was about 12 years ago.

It has its original transmission (with the rebuilt valve body) and just went over 286,000.

I’ve been using AMSOIL ATF lately and it seems to work well. The JWS-3309 spec is key, and I’ve tried Valvoline Import Multi Vehicle, Mobil 3309, and genuine Toyota T-IV all with good results.

The car drives like new. Shifts perfectly.

Every 30,000 miles might seem like excessive frequency, but the transmission will be fine with it. If it’s working for you, stick with what’s working.

When you’re ready to talk flame trap, transmission fluid cooler and filter installation, suspension rebuild, or my angle gear upgrade, send me a PM.

Congratulations on a great car!

I like the color of your XC70 and the transmission fluid. Both a nice shade of red! That transmission should last a LONG time with the treatment you are giving it. We have three V70Rs in the family with about 260K, 275K, and 312K miles and all are working very well with just a drain and fill every 30K miles or so.

Wow you take very good care of your vehicle! The trans fluid works great too. I change the fluid in my Honda transmission every 15,000 miles because it is so easy to do. What is a Gibbons method?
So the Gibbons method is something I came across over on the VolvoXC forum. You can disconnect the transmission line at the radiator and run a clear house into a bucket and pump out 2 qts at a time and get 100% of the old ATF out. There is a detailed sticky at the top of the form explaining the steps. Its super easy so all you have to pay for is the new ATF.
I also have a 2012 Honda Accord V6 and do a drain and fill x 2 every 15,000 miles hahaha!

@Chris B. - it’ll last as long as you want to own the car.

You may have seen this on the Volvo XC forum - https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/2002-V70-XC-Valve-Body-Replacement-Notes.pdf

I had to do the Valve body surgery on the 2002 XC at about 100,000 miles. that was about 12 years ago.

It has its original transmission (with the rebuilt valve body) and just went over 286,000.

I’ve been using AMSOIL ATF lately and it seems to work well. The JWS-3309 spec is key, and I’ve tried Valvoline Import Multi Vehicle, Mobil 3309, and genuine Toyota T-IV all with good results.

The car drives like new. Shifts perfectly.

Every 30,000 miles might seem like excessive frequency, but the transmission will be fine with it. If it’s working for you, stick with what’s working.

When you’re ready to talk flame trap, transmission fluid cooler and filter installation, suspension rebuild, or my angle gear upgrade, send me a PM.

Congratulations on a great car!

Thanks Astro! So my wife will NEVER want to give this car up so I'm hoping for at least 300,000 miles out of it or dare I say 400,000 miles if major drive line holds together for that long. One reason I go overboard keeping clean fluids in it. If the tranny fails or the engine, not sure we would put that kind of money in it this late in its life. I think a tranny is about $4000 and that car is probably worth $1500??? IDK, maybe we would just go for it, do the repair and keep driving it? What would you do in that situation? I think it is a better built car then most new ones I see.
I also keep the angle gear/differentials/transfer case all full of clean fluid and change the AOC filter deep inside the AWD unit(what ever its called). We have essentially rebuilt the suspension too. Replaced TONS of parts to keep it truly like new. Just put $2600 into it for a ton of other maintenance and repairs that were scheduled due. A local Volvo repair shop does all the work I can't which is most haha! They do outstanding work and are fairly priced, use mostly Volvo parts and are honest. They only work on Volvos other wise I'd have them do my 90's vintage GMC Sierra and 2012 Honda Accord V6 too!!!

Love the car. I had the same year (it's the car in the avatar) in blue and about the same condition, low mileage. Loved it! Destroyed by being rear-ended last year and real disappointment.

You are being a little over-aggressive with the fluid change IMO. It won't hurt, but it probably is wasting a lot of good fluid and a little time. I would do 3 qts every 30k and not worry. I also use LubeGard red as an additive in the AT and PS system (you are changing at least some of the PS fluid each time, right?). It works, not a snake oil.

The Aisin transmissions in these will last the life of the car if maintained. The steering racks are a weaker spot and thus the need for exceptional PS system maintenance to avoid a big headache.

Looks like a waste of perfectly good ATF but piece of mind can sometimes be more important than wasted time and money.

Totally with you on that one!

Look on my colleagues faces when I tell them that my car (which is approved for 20,000miles OCI's) gets its oil changes every 5,000miles is a picture!

Love the car. I had the same year (it's the car in the avatar) in blue and about the same condition, low mileage. Loved it! Destroyed by being rear-ended last year and real disappointment.

You are being a little over-aggressive with the fluid change IMO. It won't hurt, but it probably is wasting a lot of good fluid and a little time. I would do 3 qts every 30k and not worry. I also use LubeGard red as an additive in the AT and PS system (you are changing at least some of the PS fluid each time, right?). It works, not a snake oil.

The Aisin transmissions in these will last the life of the car if maintained. The steering racks are a weaker spot and thus the need for exceptional PS system maintenance to avoid a big headache.

I do Power steering fluid changes also. I can look it up but I think it gets flushed every 3 years or 30,000 miles or so. I can get exacts dates and mileage....
Sorry to hear about your XC70! How many miles were on it and was it a reliable car overall? Got any more pictures?

Yeah I definitely over maintain my vehicles. I sleep much better with a constant supply of fresh fluids! I keep my vehicles till the wheels fall off so I think it helps me get every last bit of life out of them.

I do Power steering fluid changes also. I can look it up but I think it gets flushed every 3 years or 30,000 miles or so. I can get exacts dates and mileage....
Sorry to hear about your XC70! How many miles were on it and was it a reliable car overall? Got any more pictures?

I don't have a ton of "good" pics of it, oddly. I must have lost some. It's a little wet and dirty here in this pic. It only had 124k miles on it when i lost it last year. The interior was about like yours. I saved all the good "bits" I could, like the weather mats like you have, roof rack, iPd belly pan, and I have a set of 17" Pegasus wheels. If I find another really nice one, I'll get it no doubt. Great, versatile cars. ATM I have a very nice, late P80 one (2000), which will do until I can find a "gem" of a P2 again.

This was supposed to be a real "keeper" car for me - loved it and didn't have any plans to switch as a DD any time at all. I had tightened up the suspension (sub frame bushings), added an aux transmission cooler, replaced all worn plastic bits, new turbo control valve and lines, serviced the Haldex, etc. to make it a long-life car. I figured I might bump the turbo and tune it at some point. Sad. :(

IMG-3285.JPG

Last edited:
I love this car. Always wanted one. Had 3 high mileage s60 sedans and they were superb. They age well and can really take the miles and I found them to be reliable considering the features and tech. Beautiful wagon.

I don't have a ton of "good" pics of it, oddly. I must have lost some. It's a little wet and dirty here in this pic. It only had 124k miles on it when i lost it last year. The interior was about like yours. I saved all the good "bits" I could, like the weather mats like you have, roof rack, iPd belly pan, and I have a set of 17" Pegasus wheels. If I find another really nice one, I'll get it no doubt. Great, versatile cars. ATM I have a very nice, late P80 one (2000), which will do until I can find a "gem" of a P2 again.

This was supposed to be a real "keeper" car for me - loved it and didn't have any plans to switch as a DD any time at all. I had tightened up the suspension (sub frame bushings), added an aux transmission cooler, replaced all worn plastic bits, new turbo control valve and lines, serviced the Haldex, etc. to make it a long-life car. I figured I might bump the turbo and tune it at some point. Sad. :(

View attachment 118040
How did the crash go? How did the car hold up considering? Beautiful blue XC! That is a heart breaker!

Back