Pics from 2001 Honda Civic EX Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used an Advance Auto Parts AA7317 oil filter for my Auto-RX rinse phase, which is what you see below.

Now the Pics:

Pic 1: Oil Filter Connection Point.
 -

Pic 2: Inside of filter. It is made of a good size thickness of metal. Bottom of Pic 2 is front part of the filter.
 -

Pic 3: Bypass Valve
 -

Pic 4: Picture of everything together
 -

Pic 5: Filter Media is pretty dirty. Didn't find any pieces of dirt on it though.
 -

Pic 6:
 -

Pic 7: Bottom and Top Pictures of oil filter Canister
 -

I tried putting the Purolator Premium Plus L34480 oil filter on my car but when I put it on my car the filter did not sit correctly at all.

The L34480 has the following specifications:
Height: 5.45
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
O.D.: 3.50
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 15
Type of Filter: Spin-on
Threads: M20x1.5

The L14610 has the following specifications:
Height: 3.52
O.D.: 2.69
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 14-18
Threads: M20x1.5

As you can see from the specs above, the L34480 has a .81 inch bigger overall diameter. The 2 inch difference in height didnt matter because it didnt touch or interfere with anything. It was the fitting to the cars oil filter connection that wouldnt make a snug fit. The diameter of the L34480 was just to big. I tried taking pics of L34480 filter on but couldnt fit my camera inside to get a good pic.

I wonder if the L24458 will fit correctly and firmly on the civic? Has anyone tried this? I will try on my next oil change and see if it fits firmly.

The L24458 has the following specifications:
Height: 3.94
O.D.: 3.15
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 12-15
Threads: M20x1.5-6H

I am currently using the Purolator Premium Plus L14610 right now because I had 2 sitting in the garage. After these (L14610's) are used I will start using the Advance Auto Parts AA7317 (which is the equiavalent of the L14610).

Hopefully the L24458 will fit my car though.

Thanks,
Oren

How many miles are on your Civic? Did Auto-X make any noticeable difference?

I know there are two different Honda filters - one slightly larger than the other - that are spec'd for 01 Civic use. Sometime in 02 they changed to the smaller filter, but I think some of the larger ones are still available. I don't have the numbers, but I know HandAaccessories.com was selling both for awhile.

looks like your civic filter is located under the car and points straight down, which is excellent (just like the v-6 hondas).

makes things easier to change.

unless i'm wrong, b/c i can't see much from the picture, except for the ATF fill or drain plug?

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
looks like your civic filter is located under the car and points straight down, which is excellent (just like the v-6 hondas).

makes things easier to change.

unless i'm wrong, b/c i can't see much from the picture, except for the ATF fill or drain plug?

The filter looks like it is straight down but it actually sits parallel. Its the way I took the picture that makes it look like it is straight down.

quote:

Originally posted by VTEC01EX:
How many miles are on your Civic? Did Auto-X make any noticeable difference?

I know there are two different Honda filters - one slightly larger than the other - that are spec'd for 01 Civic use. Sometime in 02 they changed to the smaller filter, but I think some of the larger ones are still available. I don't have the numbers, but I know HandAaccessories.com was selling both for awhile.

I have 65,730 miles on my civic. I will see if Auto-Rx improves my gas mileage. So far after some highway use and city use, it doesnt seem to help any. My car was already running fine but I thought I should just try Auto-Rx to keep my engine clean. So far acceleration is the same as is everything else. Hopefully after running a couple tanks of gas I could tell if it was worth it.

Oren

My car has been getting only Castrol GTX 5W-20 and either purolater or fram filters. Recently I only buy Purolator Premium Plus or Advance auto parts filters.

Oren

The hosting site seems to have deleted my pics. Here they are again.

Pic 1: Oil Filter Connection Point.
 -

Pic 2: Inside of filter. It is made of a good size thickness of metal. Bottom of Pic 2 is front part of the filter.
 -

Pic 3: Bypass Valve (BV)
 -

Pic 4: Picture of everything together
 -

Pic 5: Filter Media is pretty dirty. Didn't find any pieces of dirt on it though.
 -

Pic 6: ADBV (Anti Drainback Valve)
 -

Pic 7: Bottom and Top Pictures of oil filter Canister
 -

Thanks,
Oren

[ September 13, 2004, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Storm897 ]

I got it at my local Advance Auto Parts Store. Its expensive though. I think it was around $11.
Maybe you could find it online and just order it that way?

Oren

quote:

Originally posted by gtoracer:
I am using the purolator l24458 on my father-in-law's 04 Civic LX and it works fine, been on there for abt 4000 mi so far and no problems
Cya Pete

It sits perfectly onto the cars oil filter location? It doesnt leak? I will have to try it next time.

Thanks,
Oren

I am using the purolator l24458 on my father-in-law's 04 Civic LX and it works fine, been on there for abt 4000 mi so far and no problems
Cya Pete

My car has been getting only Castrol GTX 5W-20 and either purolater or fram filters

I have an 01 LX and was using Honda filters up until the time I bought a "Honda" filter and found later it was manufactured by Fram. I used the 5W-20 GTX the last few oil changes as well - Civic now at 101,000 miles and it is running as good as it ever was.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents... 03 Honda Civic EX (1.7L V-tec) gets a steady diet of Baldwin 1431 filters for it's filtering delight. Have tried the K&N 1010 and the Fram X2 7317..but for the quality filtration, build quality, better price point (just over $4), plus the "oversized" perfect fit, it's too good to pass up for anything else!
smile.gif

Those Baldwin filters look promising but the availability sucks. Anyway, the gasket diameter for the L14459/L24458 is the same as the L14610 so it'll fit fine as long as nothing obstructs the larger diameter body of the L24458, like that bolt in the picture but it seems someone has already tried it and says it works without any issues.

Realpro,
Not sure why you think availability sucks? Actually, they are easier to get then getting into your car, driving 15 minutes to the local auto parts store, looking up the actual filter in the cross-ref book, purchasing the filter, driving 15 minutes home, burning that precious fuel to get there and back... o.k. I'll stop there. To get 1 or 6 or a dozen Baldwin filters is just a few clicks away on your computer. You don't even have to put on your shoes or stop at the ATM machine on the way over to the store! And in a few days, Mr. Brown drops them off at your front door with a ring at the doorbell and a smile! It's that easy!

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back