picking up new VW Passat 2.0t: which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M3=Syntec 5w-50 That's what's used in place of the TSW Motorsports 10w-60 in the PTG M3 Racer and they could use ANY oil they wanted.

Bmw.jpg

holy smokes! I forgot about this, and I got two pages of replies. Sweet!

I use Mobil 0-40 in my Subaru 2.5 TS, but I think I'll stay away from it in the Passat as I'm not sure I want to burn through quarts of oil like that.

I'll look into the Valvoline 5-40.

I have a 99 v6 passat and was hoping more would chime in on the rotella 5w-40.
I tried to get the shell answer man at rotella.com to answer but all he did was duck the question as to whether it met vw 502.00.

I am sure it is sufficient in the real world, but we all like to be reassured anecdotally , dont we?

Quote:

I have a 99 v6 passat and was hoping more would chime in on the rotella 5w-40.
I tried to get the shell answer man at rotella.com to answer but all he did was duck the question as to whether it met vw 502.00.

Sulfated ash limit for VW 502 rated oils is 1.5%. Rotella-T 5W-40 shows an ash content of 1.47%, which for my taste is a little close to the limit, especially if your engine consumes oil. Other than that I see I no reason not to use Rotella-T in a '99 VW V6.

I second the recommendations of an A3 synth.:

Syntec 5-40/5-50, SynPower 5-40 or M-1 0-40. Pick and/or choose your favorite...they're all comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back