Picked up an ecotec cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
OK, I will bite; what is baby "through the sunroof"? C-Section? If so, I had not heard that term.

It is always better to get it inspected while you still have the CEL off! Just this year, both my cars tripped CEL the second day after I had them inspected!

At least they were kind enough to wait.
grin.gif

Yeah my newest nephew is here today, C-section.

BIL actually takes pretty good care of his cars, he's just a free spirit and drives all over the place. He's a good accelerated test bed for my vehicular experiments.
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
superflo 5w30 I got for $.99/qt a few years ago

You got in on that action too??? Finally used up my last of it this past summer. Keep the car deal pics coming, man...

30 MPG in snow storms, lots of idling, etc. CEL popped back on after a couple weeks, probably the EVAP system.

No news is good news, they have enough drama as it is.
lol.gif

It made it back via trailer. Oil in the intake!!!

DSC_0001_zpsf8673c73.jpg

What's up with that fender? Fire?
laugh.gif

DSC_0003_zpsf3ea9969.jpg

That's the "good car"! It's getting a 2.2 OHV motor from this guy.

DSC_0004_zps35189f0d.jpg

Looks good until you look underneath.
laugh.gif

DSC_0006_zps019d5735.jpg

I've found lots of threads about swapping OHV 2.2s for ecotecs. I'm going the other way. I march to my own drum! Also downgrading to a three speed automatic.
wink.gif

I will admit to having a soft spot for these little cars. We're the original owners of our 2.2 2001 and ya I know they are often maligned but at 130K miles it's still doing fine.
408849049.jpg

Looking forward to your progress.

Originally Posted By: Mud
I will admit to having a soft spot for these little cars. We're the original owners of our 2.2 2001 and ya I know they are often maligned but at 130K miles it's still doing fine.
408849049.jpg

Looking forward to your progress.

Make it 3 years newer, and it looks just like mine.
smile.gif

And they are cheap to run too....

So let's get to this! Good motor in bad car. Plan was to drop motor, trans, steering rack, and subframe. Changing slightly as its subframe is rusty junk. I dumped the motor out the bottom, and with it on jackstands was able to wheel it out the front. I had to pull the bumper cover to get at the computer, so the bumper itself was just four bolts away from coming too!

DSC_0012_zpsb321c523.jpg

Plan was since I'd never done a j-body before I'd trash the car and be careful around the motor. Oddly, all six subframe bolts came out fine-- I had heard they seize in place. But a 7mm headed bolt holding the engine wiring harness to the body harness rounded off. I gingerly slotted the screw and trashed the body side of things with a 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. Found I could then open the harness with a slotted screwdriver. I kept the engine harness on the engine; I assume that's how it's lifted into place. The car has pretty clear "engine" and "body" harnesses.

DSC_0013_zps76d1c892.jpg

The AC was dead and discharged anyway, and I need the OHV radiator as the ecotec one is different. No real effort to drop the bottom brace and keep the rad attached via tranny cooler lines. Line nuts looked rusty and like something I shouldn't mess with. BTW engine and tranny are both still full of oil.
wink.gif

DSC_0015_zps2da28614.jpg

I dropped the K-frame seperately. The nuts on the steering rack look sort of rusty; I might move this rack to the "good car". I was able to unto the fasteners at the pump side. The frame is rusty junk though. The ecotec hydraulic steering is radically different with wrong length hoses. It's driven off the cam and IMO this put a load on the timing chain when it was cold started.
frown.gif

DSC_0018_zps5027dcd5.jpg

The engine bay of nothingness. Next, I tackle removal of a powertrain I don't care about. Stay tuned.
wink.gif

An emergency trip to Horror Freight (newly opened a week ago!!!) got me some "1000 lb furniture dollies". Powertrain rests on these. Sweet!!! I have my crane back for the next stage.

I also got a "Pittsburgh pro" impact set-- my other one left out 15mm for some reason. Cavaliers are held together with tons of these, and I felt nervous using my chrome on an impact. They were having a parking lot tent party, and my 25% coupon wouldn't work because it was technically a "tent sale" but the greenhorn manager did an override.
01.gif

Day two. I'm a feeble weekend warrior, the weekend's over and my cars are all dead!
lol.gif

DSC_0001_zps59ed80b3.jpg

DSC_0004_zps9b8dc0ea.jpg

You are my hero eljefino, I love your projects and how you dive into almost anything without hesitation! If I lived closer, you'd have free labor whenever you wanted it!

Keep the pics coming !
banana2.gif

IMG_0181_zps5ce6bf46.jpg

Only got to work on it a few hours after dinner. Engine is in and bolted up. Grumble grumble. Sorry about poor picture quality but morale is getting lower.
wink.gif

In a spot of good news the kid who previously owned this car engine put in a thumping stereo then blew his alternator and put in a driveworks from Advance. He only got two of the three bolts in. I had to pull the alt to get it to clear the upper rad support and when I put it back I got it in there properly. Even found an old saturn bolt that fit perfectly.
lol.gif

Folks there's trouble brewing my way. A foot of snow Wed/Thu. So I need to get my driveway engines in order. Starting to look trashy here. Not helped by my throwing every fender liner and offending piece of plastic in a snowbank.

The engine was blocking "Bay 1" aka "the wife's bay" aka where the car that might run, is sitting. I had to move it over in front of bay 2, where a tow truck or redneck with trailer will be scrapping the donor car and blown motor.

At a time in the past when it was colder, my driveway was sheet ice, and the powertrain slid like those curler guys in the Olympics. Sadly, today, this was not the case. Though I set up the video for what was a demonstration of competence, it was almost something to show a chiropractor for further understanding of his mission.

Still sportn' the butt crack
lol.gif

I head up to your neck on the woods from time to time. Would be cool to stop by.

Oh, speaking of engines, I picked up a low mile Jeep 2.5 for $50. The kid told me he lived in Orange. I figured Orange, Ma was on the way home from a NH snow run so I could toss it on my Jeep trailer. Turns out it was Orange, CT, down by the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back