Picked up an ecotec cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving this....
smile.gif

It runs!
banana2.gif

The 2000 computer lives inside the bumper, so I had to move the bracket over. It was a winning combo of spot welds and bolts, so some grinding, prying, etc got it loose.

I literally just...

-- Bolted down the fusebox (one bolt) that was flopping around with the engine harness.

-- Plugged in the chassis harness at the firewall.

-- Rigged up the computer.

-- Connected fuel lines-- same diameter, same spot on the frame rail.

-- Fixed the battery tray ground (J-body people know this corrodes and snaps all the time.) Put a battery in and wired it up.

It would have run. I optionally

-- hooked up the heater core hoses (but didn't add coolant.)

-- hooked up the throttle cable, so I could goose it with an open down pipe.

-- hooked up the power steering so the pump wouldn't run dry.

-- put the master cylinder back, in case I bumped the pedal and knocked the pushrod out.

I had to leave the key on for ten plus minutes for a security reset, which I did while I hooked up the PS and removed the last of the AC stuff, a receiver dryer? in that area.

DSC_0013_zps6cb28dfc.jpg

DSC_0016_zpsa2683af4.jpg

I also bled the brakes as I blew the struts/ hubs/ knuckles all apart for a better view in the sides even though I may not have needed to.

Future work includes

-- Hooking up the exhaust (flanges are 20 degrees out of phase, maybe I'll move the old midpipe and muffler over.)

-- Alignment as I monkeyed with the subframe, rack, and everything else.

-- sorting out and putting in 20 square yards of black plastic fender liner and ground effects. I've since forgotten where it came from, and have two of nearly everything.
confused.gif

-- reinstalling bumper and cover.

-- intake etc. I had a CEL presumably from a missing IAT sensor. I'm very impressed with GM for making the wiring so modular.

Test drive, make sure the brakes are firm, then oil and ATF change. I deftly kept those fluids in the powertrain throughout this part, as I didn't want to throw good money after bad if there was some "evil glitch" that would block it from running.

BTW, the PRN(D)321 shifter clicks down to 2 for first on the 3-speed then goes no further. The donor car has an extra unlabeled click.

No pictures yet so you'll just have to imagine--

-- The exhaust has two flexpipes to get under the straight-as-a-board 04 subframe. The ecotec dumped out OVER this subframe rail. It's a little lot ghetto. This upset the natural balance of the exhaust system so I

-- stuck some old drawer sliders (metal bars) to the floor pan with self tapping screws, hung some rubber hangers from these, and ran old Saturn head bolts (of course) through as improvised hangers to weld to the exhaust pipe just rear of the cat.

I'm getting there though. I still have to splice in an ABS pigtail connector-- they are notoriously bad and I had two good ones between the two cars. Rehang most of the plastic. Bumper back on. Test drive.

Oddly, whenever I disconnect the battery, I have to re-do the security key. I thought once would re-learn it. I still have the old body control module working with the new computer. Could be something there. Have a "service" light on. My cruise control is also unplugged, but the donor car didn't have it, but that might run off the BCM. Head scratcher for sure.

I have the 2.2 OHV in my Sunfire. Definitely a little tractor-like engine but dead nuts reliable.

Great job you are doing there.

Ghetto exhaust. Also I have to hit HF for some zip ties!!!

DSC_0029_zps579055ee.jpg

DSC_0032_zpscb4638da.jpg

Wife got her bay back!!!

DSC_0033_zps4e49de75.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Wife got her bay back!!!

DSC_0033_zps4e49de75.jpg

She didn't complain about the...um...condition of the space?
whistle.gif

OK... I have a question for eljefino.

How many of these cars that we've seen and read about over the years, have been found in Uncle Henry's?

Uncle Henry's conked out in favor of CL for me around 2006. For a while my work shift went Thursday thru Sunday, so I wasn't able to pounce on a "fresh" want-ad. Work shift changed and I thought, oooh, uncle henrys!

For a while CL was fantastic, just hipsters who didn't know cars. Chock full of liars, crooks, and curbstoners now.
smile.gif

In 2002 I found my dodge dakota in a Boston suburb thanks to the Boston Herald classified website, which also covered whatever suburban small paper the truck was in. I rode the train down, switched to commuter rail, walked the last mile, put my plates on, drove it up here, used it for five years, then sold it for more than I paid. On CL.
whistle.gif

I stopped by a used car lot today whose owner I like to shoot the [censored] with. He says "man, you got to see this car, it has THREE rebuilt titles." It was a Cavalier...he pops open the driver's door and there are three AL rebuilt title stickers in the door jamb. The car has in fact been officially totaled out and officially rebuilt three different times...the title numbers on the stickers were all different.

It actually didn't look half bad. There was some paint over spray in a few spots, but it had been repainted the original color. I didn't ask what year it was, but it was early 2000s, the generation just before your '04. No rust.
lol.gif

Sounds cool! I was thinking of moving the headlights, hood, grille, and driver's fender over to the victim.

I was in the junkyard I sent the carcass to, picking up a MAP sensor for the runner. No sign whatsoever of the donor. It's probably in a little rusty cube on a barge to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back