Picked up a free LT2000

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
It was actually given to me. A friend of mine knows I like messing with mowers. Well, he had this one a long time. He couldn't get it to start. I told him to let me look at it. I think he just wanted a new one. It sat outside for a while. Someone cut the wiring harness. Battery connectors and wiring for the ignition switch. I had an old harness. I wired in a new ignition switch and put new batter cables on it. Didn't really want to turn over. Adjusted the valves fired right up and runs really nice. I am going to service the deck tomorrow. Not sure what I will do with it. Might get rid of one of my LT1000s as the LT2000 is a better machine with a nice tight turning radius. Just need to put a seat on it. I have a spare. Someone stole that too. I don't need 4 riding mowers.
20240406_142325.jpg

Last edited:
Good work 👍

4 riding mowers, you got 20 acres or are you working on your own tractor land? 😂
LOL Nope just 1 and 3/4 acres. One LT1000 came with the house back in 2010. I picked up a brand-new Cub Cadet in 2020. Someone gave me an LT1000 like 6 years ago fixed it turned it into a dually during covid. The neighbor and I built it. Now I have this one. I have a good size shop/barn that I put all the lawn stuff in. I will keep the dually as it is equipped with a plow blade. I don't know I might keep them all. My kid wants one so he can flip the pulley and lower it. So that is a possibility.

I have this video too. I think I am going to keep this one. I washed it and it cleaned up nice.

Last edited:
A low rider mower? now I've heard it all. :ROFLMAO:

Hey, free is free, and it works. I've gotten a few mowers this way, and it sure beats paying for them. A few years of usage out of free? how can I beat that?

Might want to keep all of them, and hand down to the kids as they get houses. Granted that means keeping them around, and fresh gas in them, etc, so not quite free to you & your time, as it might be a few years before they get a place that needs mowing. But oddly enough, the older I get, the faster the time seems to go by.

A low rider mower? now I've heard it all. :ROFLMAO:

Hey, free is free, and it works. I've gotten a few mowers this way, and it sure beats paying for them. A few years of usage out of free? how can I beat that?

Might want to keep all of them, and hand down to the kids as they get houses. Granted that means keeping them around, and fresh gas in them, etc, so not quite free to you & your time, as it might be a few years before they get a place that needs mowing. But oddly enough, the older I get, the faster the time seems to go by.
It isn't too bad keeping them I have a covered 20 foot by 30 foot shop/barn out back all the mowers, chain saws and power equipment are back there. It is dry/insulated storage.

Last edited:
To be honest. I don't think I will ever buy a brand-new mower again. The 3 Craftsman that I have will most likely survive a nuclear event and parts are interchangeable and probably available until the end of time. They are metal bodies with metal hoods and two have pressurized oiling. I bought my Cub Cadet XT2 with the K66 from a dealer. Eh. for what I paid I should have just picked up a box store mower.

A lot of these Craftsman L+G tractors are nice units. Grandpa, and then Dad had/have a couple of GT6000s with Kohler Commands. Plenty of power to mow and decent enough to usually find parts for. Only bane I've come across was the steering sector gears in them.

I don't have any myself, but am big into the 60s-90s John Deeres from 110s, 112s, 316K, 318s, 430s, etc., and most recently my 1025R. I can appreciate the robustness/easy to find parts and serviceability. Even though I think a lot of these are MTD or AYP made, being a Sears brand back when probably has to do some with their popularity, market reach which now trickling down to aftermarket parts coverage. Probably the one of the few box store tractors that aren't miserable.

Nice acquisition. Thats a good sounding motor. OK now what lube when into it? :ROFLMAO:

A lot of these Craftsman L+G tractors are nice units. Grandpa, and then Dad had/have a couple of GT6000s with Kohler Commands. Plenty of power to mow and decent enough to usually find parts for. Only bane I've come across was the steering sector gears in them.

I don't have any myself, but am big into the 60s-90s John Deeres from 110s, 112s, 316K, 318s, 430s, etc., and most recently my 1025R. I can appreciate the robustness/easy to find parts and serviceability. Even though I think a lot of these are MTD or AYP made, being a Sears brand back when probably has to do some with their popularity, market reach which now trickling down to aftermarket parts coverage. Probably the one of the few box store tractors that aren't miserable.

Nice acquisition. Thats a good sounding motor. OK now what lube when into it? :ROFLMAO:
Oil Change tomorrow...Probably some 10W-30 I have laying around.

Nice! I've got that exact model LT2000. I bought it used in 2011 for around $300 IIRC. I've replaced the carb a time or two, but can never seem to get the cheapy replacement carbs dialed in 100%, but I can get them good enough. I run a slightly larger oil filter for the engine (I'll get ya the p/n if interested). I also added a nose roller to the 42" deck. I love these machines because the Peerless/Tecumseh hydrostatic trans on them are pretty good and have separate hydro oil housings and diff gear oil housings. These 42" decks cut really well and hold up well. Love the simple mechanical tensioner PTO as well.

I remember growing up in the 90s/early 2000s when the LT1000s and LT2000s were everywhere. They were thought of as the "cheaper" mowers. Now they are head and shoulders above what is offered at the box stores today. I've re-powered several of them for my customers. One guy has an LT1000 that has outlasted 2 Briggs Inteks. With decent maintenance they can last quite a while, and are simple machines.

Picked up a freebie LT2000 as well 2 yrs ago with bent tie rods. Quick fix and its also got the Kohler Command Pro engine which runs insanely well. 2 seasons on the oil and it is still crystal clear.
I prefer those Kohler Commands over the Briggs Inteks. The Commands were a way better commercial grade engine and the Briggs were plagued with head gasket, carburetor needle valve, and valve seat issues.

I had no snow, so my LT1750 got used to haul the wood wagon, It started easily and the battery is holding a charge..
It has a C474cc Command.

Back