Pick my tow vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My brother is buying another Jeep Cherokee for basically scrap metal price for parts for his wrecked Cherokee. We'll be picking it up Sunday (doesn't run) and it needs to be towed (will rent a Uhaul car hauler trailer). It is 90-100 miles out of town. We'll borrow one of my grandparent's vehicles to tow with. Below are the choices.

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4.0L I6 134k miles, runs like it just came off the showroom floor, is in amazing shape, every cooling system piece has been replaced. Stock 3:55 gears and slightly larger 235/75-15 tires. Has factory tranny cooler. Has a nice tow hitch & is wired for trailer lights.

2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ 4x2 4.2L I6 100k miles. Runs amazing as well, and is basically a mint condition car too. Has a nice tow hitch as well and wired for lights. I believe it too has a factory tranny cooler as well (not 100% sure, but probably does). Has the higher (or lower?) 3:73 gear option.

I'm not sure which to choose, I know the Jeep is a beast and is torquey, but the Trailblazer stops on a dime better. I know both vehicles will be very reliable doing this (mostly highway) but you guys be the choice.

Thanks

Chevy. Got the gears and the tow hitch.

The Jeep's taller than stock tires worsen the gear ratio for towing.

Chris 142 is probably right also, Uhaul may require a larger vehicle for the trailer. You might co.sider going with a tow bar, if the new purchase can roll.

Last edited:
I just checked their website and they do allow it with the Trailblazer as the tow vehicle, but not the Jeep. Odd.

The shift cable bushing on the Trailblazer could let go in the most inconvenient place...and you can't buy just the bushing.
grin.gif
The Cherokee is easier to rig up should some malfunction happen.

In all seriousness, use the one with more gas in it and make the trip as short as possible. Neither one of those is really ideal for towing another vehicle, but will do it once just fine.

Trailblazer. Use a dolley and drop the driveshaft and/or put the t-case in neutral if that's how they'd have you do it.

A tow dolly is 400 lbs while a car trailer is 1600-2000. The uhaul dollys are pretty sweet and well built.

Engine power etc is meaningless in towing. The chassis and wheelbase make a better tow vehicle which goes over to the Trailblazer. Neither is optimal just take it easy.

As already stated, neither is ideal but the Trailblazer between then the two will get it done more comfortably.

I don't about U Haul requirements in CA, but I've rented a car trailer with a Tacoma before as well as my current F150 with no problems.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Trailblazer. Use a dolley and drop the driveshaft and/or put the t-case in neutral if that's how they'd have you do it.

A tow dolly is 400 lbs while a car trailer is 1600-2000. The uhaul dollys are pretty sweet and well built.

Jeep 4wd towing specifies all wheels on a trailer, or on the ground with TC in neutral.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Jeep 4wd towing specifies all wheels on a trailer, or on the ground with TC in neutral.

A Cherokee can be towed with the front lifted...the owners' manual on my 1997 explicitly said to do so.

Well it's been delayed for a week. We'll be using the Trailblazer but the guy had to go out of town for a week. For the inconvenience the guy is actually just gonna give my brother the Jeep for free.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
U haul won't rent you a trailer.they require a 3/4 ton or larger truck.plus I'm sure that trailer and load will be way over the towing rating of those 2 vehicles.

Thats not true, Uhaul will rent you any trailer within your vehicles capabilities.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well it's been delayed for a week. We'll be using the Trailblazer but the guy had to go out of town for a week. For the inconvenience the guy is actually just gonna give my brother the Jeep for free.

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back