Piaggio Fly 50 factory fill (AGIP 5w40?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
with 300 miles on the scooter I changed the oil and sent out a sample of the factory fill to see what it was made of.

alum 6
chromium 7
iron 21
copper 37
lead 13
moly 4
maganesse 2
boron 20
silicon 9
sodium 8
calcium 2111
magnesium 9
phos 956
sing 1173
barium 10
SUS @210F 55.4 should be 65-78
cSt@100C 8.89 11.6-15.3
TBN 6.2
insolubles .2
water .4 (used a soda bottle that had some left over water in it)

if this is 5w40 it sure sheared down a lot! no way I'm paying over $16 for a quart of this AGIP 5w40 oil.
I have AMSOIL 10w40 scooter oil in it now.

lots of copper and lead.
iron could be considered high as well.
chromium 7 is the highest i have ever seen!

that is crazy expensive oil!

makes me wonder how much metals were in the small amount of coca cola and water that got into the oil. wonder if black stone can test a sample of coca cola lol.
its 119 for a case of the AGIP, but shipping is over $100 to hawaii. There is a lot of chrome parts in this engine, bearings. it likely does not help that this engine does not have a real filter on it, just a screen.

you would be much better served just running a hdeo diesel oil that you buy off the shelf of any store and changing it often.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
you would be much better served just running a hdeo diesel oil that you buy off the shelf of any store and changing it often.

I'm going to be changing thr oil at the manufactures recomended 2,000 mile intervals. The AMSOIL Scooter oil is cheaper than most diesel synthetics already, and I get the discounted prices.

I would also like to add. For such a small engine there was a heck of a lot of junk in the oil, like what looked like paint chips possibly from a work bench, lint ect. not much effort seems to have been placed to keep the engines clean internally during assembly.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii

I'm going to be changing thr oil at the manufactures recomended 2,000 mile intervals. The AMSOIL Scooter oil is cheaper than most diesel synthetics already, and I get the discounted prices.

Forget a diesel syn. Use rotella conventional 15w-40. It's wet clutch safe and cheap,so if you are changing the oil often it's less wallet painful. I use rotella in all my shared sump bikes. Just the conventional with no additives. Try it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Forget a diesel syn. Use rotella conventional 15w-40. It's wet clutch safe and cheap,so if you are changing the oil often it's less wallet painful. I use rotella in all my shared sump bikes. Just the conventional with no additives. Try it.

Best advice here.
Any 5/40 oil will shear down in any bike with a shared sunp, synthetic or not.
The higher the lower number the less it will shear. 5/40 vs 10/40 vs 15/40 vs 20/50. The lower number is the true weight of the oil in most cases. Then modifyers make the oil act like the 40or50 when hot, however, proven time after time the modifyer gets sheared in the gear cases of motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Scooter clutch is dry.

Stick to the amsoil oil imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back