Photo I got of a consumer-owned real-world Rivian R1T yesterday.

How about that, eh? I thought these were going to be vapor-ware when they were announced. Beat the Tesla to the market and looks like a real, decent vehicle.

I absolutely REFUSE TO TELL ANYONE WHERE THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN!!! so please don't even ask... OPSEC and all... ;)

IMG_0629.jpg

Oh, and this thing hauls nuts! It tore-arse around me on the highway to take the same exit I was taking (where photo was taken at stop light). It was like a near-silent drag-racing brick on wheels.

A tiny bit smaller than I thought there were, but still decent-sized rigs. They are going to sell a lot of these trucks and SUVs if they can build them.

Stock dipped bellow $40 today...I kept telling myself that I was going to buy some if it was bellow $80...so, in ten years when it’s $300 a share and I didn’t even buy it at $38, remind me. 🤷🏻‍♂️😀

I spotted one in the Temecula Wine Country region of Sou. California a few months ago. It is a rather striking vehicle and I knew what it was by the headlights from about 50 yards away. It was getting some attention from people in the parking lot who either knew what it was or were curious what it was. I haven't seen another one since. Does anyone know what their production numbers are so far ?

I'm a bit skeptical of Rivian as a company after their recent realization that they can't make money at the previous price point and were either going to have to jack up the price substantially or find some economies of scale to bring the manufacturing costs down. Not as easy as it sounds if you don't have a 20 year head start like Tesla. But at $38 a share it might not be too much of a risk to buy and hold some for the next year and see what shakes out.

I've seen two, ever. One on the road and now there's a blue one in the lot at the other location of work. Think it's brand new I saw the guy showing it to a friend.

The front reminds me of a Ford Maverick, probably not a good thing given the price difference.

Goofy headlights aside,

I really like the design of the Rivian battery pack. It uses Samsung 2170's in a dual layer 2 stack configuration with a cooling plate between the stack. With 9 or 12 modules and 7776 or about 10,400 cells in the future 180KWh offering.

At the moment, the Rivian 135KWh battery pack can accept up to 3KWh per minute of charge. This is only slightly lower than Tesla offerings of about 3.3KWh per min, but competitive. Unfortunately, the range is considerably less per minute of charge, due to this thing being a truck. Best case, about 7 miles per minute of charge.

If they can pull off the 180KWh battery pack, that will change the situation markedly.

What seems to be happening at Rivian is a move to less energy dense LiFePO4 type batteries. Cost, availability, safety are all factors.

Last edited:
I just saw one in my town. Rivian really stepped up. I'm surprised they got into production so quickly.

I've seen a white one and a blue one around where I live, which is about 50 minutes from the Bloomington plant. Just saw the blue one yesterday while taking my red Camaro out for a drive. While it certainly looks better than the Cybertruck, the front and rear end are still ugly. Not sure why they need to have those goofy looking lights, maybe to stand out? I'd rather it just looks like a normal truck instead of a Fisher Price toy.

Saw a couple around here (I think one is the same one JeffKeryk posted, not sure the plate match but color matches).

I don't think they look like a normal pickup, a bit taller and narrower instead. It may grow on me the more I see them (no plan to buy a pickup gas or EV).

... Not sure why they need to have those goofy looking lights, maybe to stand out? I'd rather it just looks like a normal truck instead of a Fisher Price toy.
Yeah, that feature seems to be universally disliked. Considering that the remainder of the design is rather conservative you'd have to wonder what Rivian were thinking? Just about anything else would look better.

I completely spaced out on the fact that I work a few blocks from what I suspect is one of their service centers

It's a large building that says Rivian, with multiple vehicles in the parking lot

I'll take pictures tomorrow

Back