Daming indictment on the state of cordless mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why the dealers were not interested in fooling with a mower that is working as designed. They should have purchased a real mower if they wanted it to act like a real mower.

Black & Decker has an awesome website for buying repair parts for the fix-it-yourself sorts like me. If a manufacturer doesn't make it easy or possible to buy repair parts, I give them a pass.

A grass mulching blade won't pick up grass or leaves well at all. On the odd occasion when I want to bag my grass, I switch to a different blade which uses significantly more battery power, but pushes the grass/leaves into the bag with gusto. The mulching blade is all curvy, unlike the bagging blade which is mostly flat except for upturned corners.

I like the concept of them. I'm a big fan of electric string trimmers, pruners, and other small equipment that homeowners only use once in awhile. It makes for a lot less maintenance. With that said, I just don't think electric mowers are there yet. Most of my customers who owned them only had them for a year or so before going gas. The battery mowers just don't have enough ummph yet.

After much, much research, I bought a 40v Ryobi and it is a fantastic mower. Light and powerful. I mow most all of my 6 or so acres with a tractor, but for one bank and just a tad trimming, the Ryobi is great. Battery life is also great with 5ah batteries. While I love my Ryobi for my type of useage, if I were to depend on an electric for my only mower, it would be an Ego, they are a much more powerful tank, and really will mow better that a lot of gas mowers, seriously, I've used them. I would have one now, but the HD I went to had the Ryobi returned, and I made the manager a low ball offer and he accepted. I thought I'd give it a try and if it didn't work out, I'd return it and get the Ego. Well, I mowed all summer with it and am still impressed. It's not an Ego, but fairly close.

I have the Echo backpack blower - for the larger job (street, sidewalks, front & back yards).
I have the Milwaukee hand held M-18 Fuel battery blower - smaller jobs (garage, patio, roof & gutters.

I have the Echo string trimmer. Runs good, good power.
I added the Milwaukee M-18 Fuel battery string trimmer (went to get another Milwaukee battery, for a little more got the string trimmer, battery and rapid charger).

Those Milwaukee batteries are not cheap (9Ah - 12 Ah). Best to watch specials, get tools instead of a battery alone. Also apply military discount.

I have the Honda HRX mower - has been a great mower. Issue free.
Now for no particular reason I would like to try a battery mower but just cant pull myself to buy & try one. Guess I never tried one let alone seen anyone use one.
Maybe next season I'll re-consider. Seems it would be nice not to maintain the engines, mix oil gas etc. for a change.... maybe

Originally Posted by spk2000
Snapper is not what it used to be. They have sold out what they were popular for. Now you can find them in Walmart and they always bragged that they were not something you could buy at Walmart.

Consider that Snapper was bought by Simplicity mowers in 2002, and then Simplicity was bought by Briggs and Stratton in 2004, so any quality issues are because of B&S's cost cutting measures, and is also why Snapper products re-started appearing in WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back