PH43 bypass pressure?

Our Fusion uses the PH3614 and equivalent filter. In the past I’ve used the PH3600 as well, because all the important specs (gasket size, bypass pressure, threads) are all the same. It’s just bigger. The same is true for the PH8, PH16, etc. All have a bypass rating of 12 psi. But the PH43, which also has the same threads and gasket size, has a bypass rating of 9-15 psi… how is this not a set number? Does it depend, and on what?

The middle of 9 to 15 PSI is 12 PSI. Typically when you see a range like that, the 9 PSI would be the cracking pressure and the 15 PSI would be when the bypass valve is fully open.

The middle of 9 to 15 PSI is 12 PSI. Typically when you see a range like that, the 9 PSI would be the cracking pressure and the 15 PSI would be when the bypass valve is fully open.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. I wonder why the others just specify 12. I assume all work similarly so all should show a range. I know I’m splitting hairs I just want to understand it more fully.

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I wonder why the others just specify 12. I assume all work similarly so all should show a range. I know I’m splitting hairs I just want to understand it more fully.
Yeah, no spring loaded bypass valve goes from fully closed to fully open at X PSI. If there was to only be one PSI number assocate with a bypass valve setting, it should IMO be the cracking pressure.

They still make PH43s? I remember getting a supertech version which by all indications was an exact clone of the xx16. Think this is a superceded mopar filter that at some time was a hair longer than the xx16 but they were able to come up with more efficient media or some other excuse.

Back