PF63 Availability - Expanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
The availability of the ACDelco PF63 filter seems to have really expanded. My local Wal-Mart had a ton of them. I decided to go ahead and use this instead of the PF48 on my '13 Silverado. My thinking is that it is clearly superior to the PF48 as they are using it on the new 2014 Silverados. Also, the PF63 fits the cutout in the oil pan of the '13 perfectly. Having seen the TSBs that indicate they (PF63) are to be used in place of the PF48 on the large unibody SUVs to allow more surface area for better performance I can't understand why anybody wouldn't upgrade on their Vortecs that use the PF48.

I've had to scrounge around several Walmarts to find three PF63's. They have a shelf tag, but always seem to be empty. The ones I did find where misplaced in other slots. I just got my Sierra 1500 that came with the two years of free maintenance but I'm not sure I'm going to use it. I can do it at home (oil change and tire rotation) and know it's done to my satisfaction and save myself a sixty mile round trip in the process.

Are the bypass setting exactly the same? If so then I would see no reason why not use a PF63 over a PF48.

Does the filter protrude past the bottom of the oil pan? I don't know the height of the PF63, but on my van it looks like that might be an issue for filters that are much longer than the PF48.

That said, my van has a low crossmember directly in front of the engine, so it would still be a protected area.

I can't swear to it, since I haven't done an oil change yet, but I read that the new 2014's come with the PF63. I've also read that GM is now back specing the PF48 to the new PF63. I would assume that's space permitting. Do to the position of the lettering, I can't read what my current filter is but it does reach to the bottom of the pan and I'm guessing it is a PF63.

From the manual for my 2014 Sierra 1500

2014_Sierra_manual.jpg

The PF63 was what the dealer was using on my pickup when I had them do the oil changes. I decided to do the last oil change myself and used a Fram Ultra XG10575. This is what the Fram website crosses a PF63 over to.

Fram_XG10575.jpg

The Fram Ultra is a little bit shorter than the ACDelco PF63 but I wasn't too worried about that. I'm not sure why the Fram website doesn't list 5.3L but it should since it looks like all the new EcoTec3 engines use the same oil filter. At Walmart, the Fram Ultra wasn't that much more than the PF63 (less than $2). I took a PF63 apart and it looked good: Cut open: ACDelco PF63 with 6,069 miles

I'll will post pics of the XG10575 when it comes off (couple months probably).

Gonefishing,

How do you like that new 2014 GMC? I've only got 600 mile on mine in one month so not a lot of driving yet. I can say that even though I don't have one of the mega $$$ trucks, our double cab with the 4.3l is the best riding truck we've ever owned, and we've owned a few.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
The availability of the ACDelco PF63 filter seems to have really expanded. My local Wal-Mart had a ton of them. I decided to go ahead and use this instead of the PF48 on my '13 Silverado. My thinking is that it is clearly superior to the PF48 as they are using it on the new 2014 Silverados. Also, the PF63 fits the cutout in the oil pan of the '13 perfectly. Having seen the TSBs that indicate they (PF63) are to be used in place of the PF48 on the large unibody SUVs to allow more surface area for better performance I can't understand why anybody wouldn't upgrade on their Vortecs that use the PF48.

The 2014s have a different motor than your 13. The tsb for using the larger filter was on the 3.6 liter v6 not the 4.8 and 5.3 v8.

That being said I plan on using the pf63 after all my 48s are used up.

Yeah, I know. My thinking is that both of these engines (2014 5.3, 3.6) are very modern heavy-feature engines which would require adequate oil filtering. For that the PF63 is being specified. That made me believe that it would be more than adequate for my less feature heavy 2013 4.8. This logic being combined, of course, with the "known" interchangeability with the PF48.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back