PF48 ACDelco cut open. (non-cut Baldwin pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Sorry if anything is out of context, Thread made for multiple forums)

I like to make it a habit to cut open my used oil filters. Although I haven't done it the last couple times. As follows is the ACDelco PF48 that was used for 2,000 miles on my 2009 Pontiac G8 6.0. Oil run was 9qts of Mobil 1 5w-30. First oil change since replacing all 16 lifters. Oil sample will be sent to blackstone and results posted. After I drained the oil, I ran 8qts of Mobil Delvac through to flush the engine (I have lots of extra Delvac), hence the clean oil look in the filter. Large metal shavings towards top of media are from my cut off wheel.

Nitrile ADBV

Some nice black "goo"

No separation at seem

Instead of running an ACDelco, I decided I want to try some Baldwins since price is similar. Some comparison shots. Baldwin is much heavier, although I didn't weight them.

Baldwin is just a smidge taller

inside center tube in baldwin

Inside ACDelco

I feel luck in some ways my oil filters (GM LLT V6 & BMW N52) use cartridge-only (no metal disposable can). I can see the media when I take them out. I just look for collapsed sections and or holes, and haven't found any ever. I wish I knew how clogged they were, can't tell that from just looking.

Last edited:
I do envy cartridge filter people who can use the microgreenfilter.com parallel path filter, as they don't make those in my cartridge-only style. Its our only hope (assuming you don't have a bypass filter already) of getting out particles in the 2 to 20 micron size, too small for ordinary filters.

The AC looks good, Champ can make a nice filter if they want to. I've used some Baldwins in the past, they are built like tanks good quality filters.

Champ only builds to how they are directed to build.

Originally Posted By: David1
How do you like the NAPA Synthetic? and How long do you leave it in your car?

I don't personally use it. That is what we put in customer cars that call for 5w-20. I've seen customer run it up to 10k with no ill effects.

I take it you're out warranty on that '09? If it will not be too long, take a look at the Baldwin B7449. I would check with Baldwin to find out what the micron rating is for that filter.

ROD

Originally Posted By: David1
How do you like the NAPA Synthetic? and How long do you leave it in your car?

I have a uoa out right now for napa synthetic on a 2011 silverado. I should get the results shortly and report them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back