PF-47

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get a better filter for my wife's Ponticac Grand-Am V-6. A Supertech 3887A or an AC Delco PF47 works but does Motorcraft have one that will fit? They appear to make a better filter. I'd like one with the bypass valve on the threaded end of the filter and a silicone ADBV. Mobil 1 might have one also. Mind you I'm cheap and shop at Walmart (all to often it seems)and their filter selection is narrow.

why not get purolator on sale... cant be that much more than walmart junk.

What is the matter with the delco filter? Ive always had excellent experiences with them. perhaps they are cheapened up for wal mart?

The ST 3980 may fit. It's a bit longer than the PF47.
The AC number is PF52. SuperTech uses the Fram numbering system.
I've used the longer filter on my Pontiacs and Olds for years with good results.
SuperTech filters aren't that bad of filter anyway.
Some house brands of filters are made by Purolator if you know what to look for.

I've been running ST filters in it for a while and they seem fine, but I see Walmart carries Motorcraft but don't cross reference them to my car. I am now using Motorcraft filters for my Ford truck (got rid of the Frams) and I like the design. They are also well liked by the folks on here so...

Quote:
3887A
I think that's a 3387A. According to the Fram X-ref site, the Motorcraft equivalents are FL318 or FL321, but good luck finding 'em at Wally's. Maybe Advance Auto - they carry MC filters at a decent price.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 3putter
I don't see how you can do any better for the $ than the SuperTech or the OEM AC Delco.

You're right about the ST. They are less than $3.00 a piece at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
3887A
I think that's a 3387A. According to the Fram X-ref site, the Motorcraft equivalents are FL318 or FL321, but good luck finding 'em at Wally's. Maybe Advance Auto - they carry MC filters at a decent price.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, I'll check some autoparts stores then.

Many have posted that some of the AC PF52's, longer PF47, appear to be made by WIX, a very good filter. Look for the orange ADBV. If you find them at WM, that is a very good price for a well built filter!

I use the oversized AC Delco PF52 (Fram PH3980) on my mom's 3.1 in her Malibu, it works great and some of them do indeed have the silicon orange ADBV and appear to be made by wix (I posted a thread about it late last year).

I had a s10 pickup for 7 years and over 140k miles, I always ran the Delco PF47's, never had an issue. They have one of the best filter medias for the money. Likely the only one better would be a Purolator Pureone , ore Mobil 1 and they are more $$

In the past I have cut open a bunch of filters. AC's usually had half again as much media as ST or Purolator. I recently cut open a Purolator, and it had a lot less media than they used to.

Note! Some PF 52's have more media than a Pf 47, and some don't.

I've used Motorcraft FL-321 in my Buick 3.1. It is the replacement for the AC-PF-47.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
I'd like to get a better filter for my wife's Ponticac Grand-Am V-6. A Supertech 3887A or an AC Delco PF47 works but does Motorcraft have one that will fit? They appear to make a better filter. I'd like one with the bypass valve on the threaded end of the filter and a silicone ADBV. Mobil 1 might have one also. Mind you I'm cheap and shop at Walmart (all to often it seems)and their filter selection is narrow.

GM's have the bypass built into the block,not the filter,pick up a 51036 WIX or 1036 NAPA GOLD,much better filter then that [censored] ST for just a buck or two more and run it for 6-7,000 miles.

Having one filter go for alot of different years and engines is one thing GM did right. I bought a case of Napa Gold 1040's from Fleet Filter and am now set for quite awhile, even with 3,000-4,000 OCI. I don't understand why the problem with the PF 47. I'd bought them a few times before and they were fine.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
Having one filter go for alot of different years and engines is one thing GM did right. I bought a case of Napa Gold 1040's from Fleet Filter and am now set for quite awhile, even with 3,000-4,000 OCI. I don't understand why the problem with the PF 47. I'd bought them a few times before and they were fine.
21.gif

No problem with the 47's,,just you can run a 52 and have slightly more oil capacity and easier flowing through the filter because of the bigger design and more filter media.

I run Purolator filters in my Chevy 3.1 and they have performed very well.

If you want superior filtration, move up to the Purolator PureOne.

It's about $5.50 but it sounds like the one you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back