Perplexing pricing, Shell premium 50 cents less than regular???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stopped at my local Shell station for a fill up. To my surprise they had the V-Power Nitro Plus 91 premium priced at $2.45 a gallon, a full 50 cents less than regular and 95 cents less than 89 mid grade. I have never seen such a thing, anyone here have any idea what circumstances might cause this?

I also thought perhaps it was a mistake, but I watched the pump closely and that was indeed what I was charged.

Wonder if the other pumps had the same price? Was at one last week and Nitro is now 93 octane instead of 91. So maybe they want to get rid of the lower octane.

Wonder if the other pumps had the same price? Was at one last week and Nitro is now 93 octane instead of 91.
I did walk over to one other pump and it was displaying the same. But it was (and has been to this point) 91 octane, maybe they are switching to 93. Interesting.

Amoco about a mile down the road has Ultimate with Invigorate in 93, that's probably the closest competitor to Shell V Power. Kasey's has 93 but their gas is donkey pee comparatively speaking.

And the price on the 93 Shell Nitro was 4 per gallon. Where Meijer had top tier 93 octane for 3.50.

I'd guess selling off old premium stock because if it was 95cents less than mid it should have been around 3.95 which is more than 1 digit off.

Sounds like they want the tank empty, where at in the kc area?

It's the Shell right off of 71 Hwy/ I-49 in Belton, the MO 58 Hwy exit. I've not been past any other Shell stations to know if it's unique to this station or not.

I got a good deal on gas once and then the next day fences were around the pumps and excavators were tearing up the concrete.

They don't tell you their tanks are old and due for replacement. Corporate is very good about minimizing downtime when swapping USTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back