Perplexing Horn Challenge

Had a good challenge; '01 Boxster S, horn would only work with the key out of the ignition and no obvious faults. Horn should work at all times.

Fuse and relay good, steering wheel push good and continuity good on the primary and secondary circuits but the clockspring showed some resistance, but not what I thought excessive. My default diagnosis when there isn't a clear cause is a wonky ground somewhere, so I pulled the airbag to check and all looked good, see first pic.

Did some more checking of individual connections, bit of web research, and found the culprit; horn push ground wire had mostly failed inside the wire where it met the terminal. Looked completely fine from the outside, but a gentle tug and...see second pic. New flag terminal and all is good.

Oh, and in the middle of this I decided it was the clockspring and purchased a new one, however I decided not to replace it as the terminal fix works and replacement is a bit invasive. I will eventually use it on one of the three though.

Bsw1.jpg

Bsw2.jpg

Help me rationalize this problem from a technical perspective...why did the horn only work when the key was out of the ignition if the issue was a bad terminal on the ground connector? Not questioning your resolution, just trying to understand it from an electrical and mechanical perspective.

Help me rationalize this problem from a technical perspective...why did the horn only work when the key was out of the ignition if the issue was a bad terminal on the ground connector? Not questioning your resolution, just trying to understand it from an electrical and mechanical perspective.
Good question and I think it was back feeding somehow, using another path to ground that went away when whatever circuit powers up when the key is in or it was grounding through the steering shaft and steering lock pawl that disengages when the key is in.

Last edited:
German vehicle... I wonder how the owner found out that it has a horn issue.

Back