Permatex Brake Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've previously used both Permatex Purple and Green and have felt like they might have been the cause of swelling on the caliper bushings. The swelling also applies to the caliper boots, of which they won't fit as tight and allow more water to seep in causing a higher risk of seizing.

I'm sticking with Sil Glyde from now on.

I've previously used both Permatex Purple and Green and have felt like they might have been the cause of swelling on the caliper bushings. The swelling also applies to the caliper boots, of which they won't fit as tight and allow more water to seep in causing a higher risk of seizing.

I'm sticking with Sil Glyde from now on.

Safe move. Brake rubber is EPDM rubber and does not tolerate petroleum based lubricants. Silicone based lube only for pins and any other parts in contact with EPDM except the piston rubber which assemble easier with a castor oil based lube eg Castrol red rubber grease than brake fluid without contamination of the fluid.

Sil-glyde/silicone type on pins.. no ceramic anything.. some of those permatex lubes turn gritty and some swell the guide pin bushing.

Sil-glyde washes out too easy on pad ears so I use pastelub.. but there are many options for this application.

Sil-glyde/silicone type on pins.. no ceramic anything.. some of those permatex lubes turn gritty and some swell the guide pin bushing.

Sil-glyde washes out too easy on pad ears so I use pastelub.. but there are many options for this application.

This is my first time using Sil-Glyde. Would a simple anti-seize also last longer on the pad ears?

Picked up some Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme Grease Parts Grease (dubbed Permatex Orange) and it ticked the boxes for a rubber compatible silicone grease. Looking to use it on a brake job for a Nissan Juke which has a rubber bushing on the caliper pins.

Spend a little more and get the best of both.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

This ans you can use it on the rubber bushing on the slide pin, the ears, under the stainless hardware, where the caliper piston touches the pad, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back