permanently greased suspensions and needle adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

As many know, I have numerous well-running, old vehicles. MBs and a BMW, all of which have "permanently greased" suspension parts.

I've seen grease gun needles. I have heard that some folks take such a needle and stick it through the rubber casing on the various suspension parts to inject.

My curiosity is if doing this is smart to renew grease protection on what is 20-30 year old parts that work well. Will grease forever leach out the hole made once it is there? Is it possible to find the hole again to use it in the future?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You don't stick the needle through the rubber. You stick it under it. Then you make sure it re-seats. You can also buy replacement rubber boots if they are rotted away.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Are those rubber boots/casings still in good shape?

Yes, look fine and remain pliable.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
You don't stick the needle through the rubber. You stick it under it. Then you make sure it re-seats. You can also buy replacement rubber boots if they are rotted away.

AHA! Thanks. Wouldn't have guessed that. Any other hints for how to best make a place to insert the needle, how to verify it re-seats, etc?

Also, if the rubber was rotted (fortunately not in my case), or more likely, I tear or compromise it somehow, how would one put a new rubber part in? You would have to fully disassemble the two parts, right?

Out of another curiosity, on my truck I have one zerk/grease boot that blew out some time ago. I never tried to re-seat it because of the mess, but I assume based upon your post that it is possible? Any suggestions as to how to best do it?

Thanks!

if that was the end all, then there wouldnt be zerks on many suspension components. They are a wear item and also a money maker. Added life is added economy. If I can have a vehicle that literally needs nbothing but fuel, oil, brakes and tires for 25 years and 250k miles, a bit of added economy squeezed out makes it even better.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Great tip. I learn something new here every day. Thanks!

No, the grease shouldn't ooze out the pin hole. In my OEM tie rods on the Maxima, there are zerks under those ball joints. They purposely created a small hole in the rubber boot for the old grease to ooze out when pumping the new grease in. It only oozes when you force the new grease in with the gun, otherwise I checked it and no oozing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back