Sealed car & truck wheel bearings

We all know that the current hub bearings on todays vehicles are not made to last long. So what can you do about it? The sealed units are permanently sealed & we all know why. I currently own a 2018 1500 Silverado & so far the wheel hubs are ok. I have been exploring ways to get grease into them & have decided to drill a small hole in the cover that houses the electrical components for the ABS sensor. After seeing how the unit has been assembled I am confident that I can get grease to the bearings. I am going to use a #2 aluminum complex grease that is compatible with the lithium grease that is commonly used in these hubs. Do not over grease, it will do more harm than good. 10 or 12 pumps from a handheld grease gun should be safe. The hole that I use will be plugged with a rubber watertight seal. The job won't take as long as packing the bearings the old way. On earlier modes the ABS sensor could be removed & grease introduced that way but, now that method has been eliminated in the newer hubs. When drilling the hole remember just break through very easy so that the components inside are not damaged. there are numerous brands of grease out there. My choice is Schaeffer because of the molly content & it's heat resistance. As you all have guessed I do not like products that have been designed to fail long before they should. Together maybe we can keep some money in our wallets that might otherwise fall into greedy hands. God Bless.

Idk, they have been using sealed bearing for a very long time now and i have never had one fail. Every vehicle we have is over 200k. But if you want to grease your bearings that’s fine with me. I wouldn’t use a grease with too much moly as it can cause skidding as opposed to the rolling you want the bearing to do. Moly grease is good for sliding surfaces and non moly for rolling surfaces.

I'm sure I remember a thread on here many years ago where people were popping the seal out, cleaning out the old grease with brake cleaner and replacing it with Redline CV2. Apparently the seal can just be clipped in and out.

We all know that the current hub bearings on todays vehicles are not made to last long. .
No we don't. This is a patently false statement.

The sealed units are permanently sealed & we all know why.
Oh brother... Please enlighten us as to why this is

I think you're whole post and premise is a fool's errand. My expectation is that wheel bearings last at least 200k. That's with no maintenance and not a second thought and while living in the rust belt. It's quite common to see 250k+ or the life of the vehicle.

I've got a Camry #1 at 255k, Camry #2 at 280k, an Accord at 225k, a Civic at 125k, an Avalon at 75k, and a low mileage newer Corolla that I look after for family members. I think I did a wheel bearing on Camry #2 at about 140k but that was quite a few years ago.

Other than that, I can't think of another time I needed one replaced. Maybe you're buying vehicles from the wrong OEMs???

Last edited:
Thinking about it, the only time I've lost a wheel bearing was in my Datsun. The car was 30 years old and the wheel bearings hadn't been done for probably 10.

Whatever the cause the GM trucks, especially the HD's have a tendency for early failure. My 2005 had both replaced at 85k and then one of those SKF replacements at 105K. Strictly anecdotal but I helped quite a few friends replace units on their GM trucks also.

Because a lot of people can hardly be bothered to have someone else change their oil on time much less maintain a wheel bearing
What maintenance does a passenger car wheel bearing need? I've never done anything to my bearings, and never have they needed replacement or attention. I am, however, old enough to remember when repacking a bearing was a maintenance item, but that was ages ago.

Whatever the cause the GM trucks, especially the HD's have a tendency for early failure. My 2005 had both replaced at 85k and then one of those SKF replacements at 105K. Strictly anecdotal but I helped quite a few friends replace units on their GM trucks also.
Sounds like GM under designed them. The bearing OEM just works off the GM spec.

I got around 200K on my first set on my Xterra. The second set - Timken - are getting close that number again.

Plus a sealed bearing or joint will last longer due to better environmental protection. Greasing can itself introduce contamination.
That would be true if they had enough grease in them & the fact that they don't is why they fail.

That would be true if they had enough grease in them & the fact that they don't is why they fail.
You must be purchasing some pretty poor quality bearings. I’ve gotten well over 200,000 miles on mine before replacement.

I’m still not sure how we all know they aren’t made to last long. Maybe this is correct for cheap ones. Longevity is directly related to manufacturing precision.

Sounds like GM under designed them. The bearing OEM just works off the GM spec.

I got around 200K on my first set on my Xterra. The second set - Timken - are getting close that number again.
The term programed failure is what is happening. Some have said that people would not take the time to repack or grease them. that is their choice. Every one has the right to be complacent or stupid. I myself have great respect for my wallet.

You must be purchasing some pretty poor quality bearings. I’ve gotten well over 200,000 miles on mine before replacement.

I’m still not sure how we all know they aren’t made to last long. Maybe this is correct for cheap ones. Longevity is directly related to manufacturing precision.
As well as taking care of the product you purchase. The fact is that no matter how good a product is, if it requires lubrication does not get it the unit will fail

They will last a long time only if they have enough lubrication. The parts are made in such a way that it is impossible to maintain them properly.

Back