Perfumes, fabric softeners cause of electronics malfunctions, Subaru recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe it. Why are perfumes and fabric softeners a problem with Subaru's electronics but not for any other electronics in the world?

I smell a silent recall in disguise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
I don't believe it. Why are perfumes and fabric softeners a problem with Toyota's electronics but not for any other electronics in the world?

I smell a silent recall in disguise.

Believe it or not, Toyota is mostly a financial matter when it comes to Subaru. The supply chains are different and most of their supplier relationships are still from their Nissan/GM days.

TOKYO -- Subaru announced Thursday the recall of 2.26 million vehicles around the world over a brake lamp defect, its largest recall yet and more than double its annual unit sales.

The move affects Forester sport utility vehicles and Impreza cars built between Sept. 19, 2008, and March 29, 2017, totaling 306,728 units in Japan and 1,962,113 overseas.

The problem is with the brake lamp switch, which is activated when the driver depresses the brake pedal. Impurities prevent a normal response and can lead to problems turning on the engine. In Japan, around 1,400 cases have been reported on the issue.

Subaru has set aside around 10 billion yen ($89 million) for the recall but expects to absorb the outlays via such steps as cost-cutting, as well as strong performance in its largest market of North America.

Subaru on Feb. 7 cut its net profit forecast to 140 billion for the year ending March 31 -- down 36% from the prior year and 27 billion yen below the previous projection -- and does not expect to revise it further.

But Subaru's quality issues are deeply rooted. The company admitted in 2017 that unqualified workers had carried out final vehicle inspections, and more inspection woes surfaced last year. It has recalled a total of 530,000 units over faulty inspections in Japan.

This past November, Subaru filed to recall 410,000 vehicles globally over faulty engine parts.

The problems have continued this year. Issues with electronic power steering units forced the company to halt its sole domestic auto plant -- in Gunma Prefecture, north of Tokyo -- for 10 days starting in mid-January.

Even swallowing the recall costs, whether the company can retain customers in North America is another question. Never before has it recalled so many vehicles there.

Auto recalls in recent years have tended to affect large volumes of vehicles, partly a result of moves in the 2000s to standardize parts and consolidate purchasing operations. Multiple models can share a single defective component, as with the Subaru brake light part.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...y-brake-lights

I read this in the other thread here or maybe somewhere else: I wonder if a good shot of electrical parts cleaner would clean this up.

Otherwise, I'm with Kestas...

My first car in the mid 90s needed a clothes pin in the carb to keep it from stalling (70s Toyota).. Turning left without a light was always a prayer and swearing. Toyota never recalled this car. Can I sue? Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back