CNN: Subaru recalling 270,000 SUVs due to fire risk.

It's the time of the year when everyone wants to be in a warm vehicle. I wonder how long the waiting list is to get the recall completed? Maybe it's only a 10 minute job. Need more information.

If I'm reading that right the PTC is an electric heater to supply cabin heat before the engine coolant is up to temp.
I never knew cars had electric heaters other than for seats, steering wheel, window glass and mirrors. Is this something new and who has it and when did it start?

Thinking about marshmallows

Not enough cars have electric heaters... will have to find a PTC at the salvage yard and wire it in to the cold climate car

If I'm reading that right the PTC is an electric heater to supply cabin heat before the engine coolant is up to temp.
I never knew cars had electric heaters other than for seats, steering wheel, window glass and mirrors. Is this something new and who has it and when did it start?
All Toyota hybrids have PTCs in the HVAC box to augment the heater core from a cold start. However, the CHS/exhaust heat recovery system in the Prius/CT(maybe the RAV4/Camry/Highlander Hybrid) also helps with heat when the engine starts off.

Thinking about marshmallows

Not enough cars have electric heaters... will have to find a PTC at the salvage yard and wire it in to the cold climate car
Yeah this sounds brilliant, I wish my Escape had that feature! Would be so nice even though it doesn’t get very cold here it would just be great to have.

Skip the cigarette lighter, relay or fuse hardwire to battery...

My Audi has electric heat blowing out the top of the seat. Think hair dryer aimed at the back of your neck.
I think they call it upper cabin heater.

My Jeep has both front seats heated, with both a "HIGH" and a "LOW" setting. As well as steering wheel heat. I can't believe how fast the wheel gets hot. Granted we don't get very cold weather here, but within 3 or 4 minutes I have to turn it off. And the wheel is very thick and large in diameter, and is wrapped with leather.

I can't imagine how many amps it's drawing when all that crap is up and running. Not to mention the rear window defroster, along with the fan blowing on it's highest setting. (It has like 6 speeds), and sounds like a J-79 on, "HIGH". I don't know what the alternator puts out, but it has to be A LOT.

Back