Percent of "synthetic" in Castrol high mileage blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know, for sure, the percent of synthetic that is in the Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend oil?
An internet search has been less than helpful, except to say that synthetic blends are not that finely regulated and can have anywhere from 1 to 30% of the blend as synthetic.

Originally Posted by MichaelRS
Does anyone know, for sure, the percent of synthetic that is in the Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend oil?

Yes, I am sure someone does... they won't be sharing that information on this forum though, as that would likely cause way more problems for them than it was worth.

An internet search has been less than helpful, except to say that synthetic blends are not that finely regulated and can have anywhere from 1 to 30% of the blend as synthetic.

In this country, they are not even well defined. What makes an oil synthetic or conventional? Is that the only criterion that can be used to classify an oil as semi-synthetic versus conventional?

The short answer to your question about how much of Castrol semi-syn is synthetic is "More than 0%, and less than 100%." The same is true for all semi-synthetics, BTW

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

Yes, I am sure someone does... they won't be sharing that information on this forum though, as that would likely cause way more problems for them than it was worth.

In this country, they are not even well defined. What makes an oil synthetic or conventional? Is that the only criterion that can be used to classify an oil as semi-synthetic versus conventional?

The short answer to your question about how much of Castrol semi-syn is synthetic is "More than 0%, and less than 100%." The same is true for all semi-synthetics, BTW

^^^^^^^^

The Nuke is really right here.

Who really knows for sure... I'd bet on a wag... 10-20%.

Last edited:
It will probably have a good bit of syn in it now due to the new SN+ standards
smile.gif

You can sometimes get a decent idea of what something contains from an MSDS, but it still isnt going to be real helpful. Id imagine any good, well known brand who wants to keep their reputation would use a decent amount, Id say at least 30% synthetic, especially with all the new regulations and such. It was suggested in a video on youtube that was made by AMSOIL, that since blends are unregulated, they could use just a drop of synthetic in the 'blend' and still refer to it as a synthetic blend. While this may technically be true, I cant imagine any company with good standing pulling some crap like that.

When I worked at sears, we pushed the valvoline blend pretty hard. I was told it was 40% syn by one of the reps.

While not the brand you're talking about, perhaps it might act as a data point towards something useful

Funny question in The U.S.A.

Most Major Brand synthetics sold here wouldn't qualify for "Semi Synthetic" so - good luck with the semi.

Fruitless quest.

Just find an oil the car likes and use it.

I run QSUD 10w30. Its synthesized but it's a paraffin AFAIK Not a PAO or aviation/turbine DiEster. Seems to do just fine though.

there are NO laws as to the amount of synthetic, usually cheaper group II in any semi-syn blend + thats why i NEVER buy them. the brand name synthetics typically all group III are a good value purchased at wally's in 5 qt containers!!!! $5 a qt purchased that way more or less is the way to go IMO

Why is that a funny question in the USA? Which countries regulate semi-synthetic oil percentages in which it wouldn't be funny?

And PAO is a paraffin.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Funny question in The U.S.A.

Most Major Brand synthetics sold here wouldn't qualify for "Semi Synthetic" so - good luck with the semi.

Fruitless quest.

I run QSUD 10w30. Its synthesized but it's a paraffin AFAIK Not a PAO or aviation/turbine DiEster. Seems to do just fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back