Pepsi Max! Too funny !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
100% staged.

No, no. Totally real and unscripted, just like reality shows and professional wrestling.

Did Pepsi pay under the table money to every mass media outlet, because otherwise I don't see how ANYONE managing those outlets thought that this thing was even close to being real.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
100% staged.

No, no. Totally real and unscripted, just like reality shows and professional wrestling.

Don't you dare bring wrestling into my Nascar.
hick.gif

staged?

1. it involves public roads and obvious speeding, wreckless driving, and endangerment.

2. note the silver car that slides to a stop. planned to look real? maybe? if this were staged it'd be a coordinated stunt driver. If it were real, would pepsi want that liability? they'd get SUED. If my kid came home explaining she was run off the road by a maniac, then saw it on TV/Utube, you bet your [self-censored] I'd be furious.

While I just can't tell if it's acting or not, I think from a liability perspective it had to be staged.

They at least had a pre-planned road course path with proper blocked areas and except for that one car there were no other cars on the road (planned again but how would the salesman know). If anything, everyone else was in on it but perhaps not the salesman. Some faces were blurred out as well which would be strange to do in typical commercial.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Some faces were blurred out as well which would be strange to do in typical commercial.

They just did that for credibility, like the half-blocked shaky camera shots. Jalopnik ripped this ad apart, like questioning why there are multiple skid marks visible.

Jeff Gordon just did a segment on CBS's "I get that a lot" hidden camera show where he worked at Autozone and hilarity ensued. This smells like an offshoot of that gimmick.

Originally Posted By: meep
staged?

1. it involves public roads and obvious speeding, wreckless driving, and endangerment.

2. note the silver car that slides to a stop. planned to look real? maybe? if this were staged it'd be a coordinated stunt driver. If it were real, would pepsi want that liability? they'd get SUED. If my kid came home explaining she was run off the road by a maniac, then saw it on TV/Utube, you bet your [self-censored] I'd be furious.

While I just can't tell if it's acting or not, I think from a liability perspective it had to be staged.

Actually, the driving scenes are on closed, private roads. The driving scenes, including the one with the silver car, were filmed at a Phillip Morris manufacturing plant in Concord, NC that has been closed for a few years. It is currently used as a set for movies, TV shows, and in this case commercials. I used to drive by that plant all the time and it's in the middle of "NASCAR country."

Jalopnik and other sites found out:

1. Sales guy was an actor, but the reactions were genuine

2. Car was not a 2009 as the window showed

3. Car was a V6 base model, not a V8 as the sound was dubbed

4. Gordon didn't drive it, they had a stunt/test driver do it

5. It was a real dealership but they agreed to it

I've also seen spoof clips of the US President talking where they bleep out some of his speech. It gave the appearance of him using nasty words. Likely, nothing bad was said.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
If anything, everyone else was in on it but perhaps not the salesman.

From a liability perspective, the salesman would be the first person to be in on it. Imagine the consequences for Pepsi if the salesguy was unaware and had a heart attack as a result of this driving.

Besides, his reactions on video, the faces he was making looked fake to me, too.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I'm sure some of you have seen this, it has been on YouTube for a couple of days but I have to post it here haha.

Fake or not it had me chuckling. Thanks for posting.

I knew it was fake the first time I saw it and so did my wife, who really knows nothing about cars. Can you imagine the liability if it wasn't fake and the car salesman had a heart attack or the lawsuit if there really was some sort of accident?. Plus, he could easily reach over, turn off the ignition and hit the hand brake. However, it is a comical commercial and I got a chuckle out of it. Too bad they didn't film this commercial, keep it a secret, and insert it in the Super Bowl. THEN, the people really would have been talking. Hey, if Dodge could do a multi-million dollar commercial with Paul Harvey's voice, Pepsi could shell out the bucks also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back