Pep Boys for the win

Status
Not open for further replies.
So some of you may know that I worked for Pep Boys in Long Island almost a year ago.

While I was there I got my tires which I bought from Amazon, installed and got the "lifetime alignment package". I was skeptical paying about 150 with a coupon, but since then I've used it three times. First when I got the tires installed, then in February and just this past month when I felt the car wasn't driving right after a rough winter and those country roads I now have to use. I found an amazing Pep Boys in Howell on Rt 9 and this time they even checked my steering which was clunking and tightened whatever that was making the noise. Walked out, no charge. No heckling for why my maintenance light is on or how my rotors need to be changed. I got what I needed done and walked out. Very good crew in NJ, just like the people I worked with in NY. Also brought back memories, but I don't miss my clothes smelling like rubber when I get home now.

Now I know that there are Pep Boys and quick oil change places out there that do shady work. I get that, but if you find a good tire shop that gives lifetime alignments on the "car" not the tires, then I think it's definitely worth it. Most places that do offer it, Mavis, Firestone, etc base it on the life of the tires which I didn't want. Pep Boys, as far as I know offers it as long as you have possession of the car.

Yeah you can go to a front end shop and they probably will do a better job than most tire places ever will. But I think having the Hunter Alignment Machine, the industry standard, and an ASE certified mechanic can get the job done as well. It's a Toyota not a priceless jewel.

Hope you enjoyed the read. This is simply based on my experience. I know people have their grievances with my previous employer as I had to solve issues at one point. Leave comments below on your experience if you feel so inclined to
smile.gif

Last edited:
Which PB in NY did you work for? It is good to hear about shops that do the right thing.

In my location Pep Boys is a bit of a ride compared to the other chain auto parts stores that are much closer. But many times they're worth the ride. I've found they have a larger selection of most everything. Waxes and polishes. Oils, greases, and lubricants. Tools, and automotive accessories. As well as most other things. When I wanted to replace the lug nuts on my truck, they easily had over 4 times the amount any of the other auto parts stores had. In any type or style you could possibly imagine.

And they also seem to have most everything on their website in stock at most of their locations. That is not the case with O'Reilly and Auto Zone. I constantly come across items on their website that none of the local stores by me have in stock. I've never used Pep Boys service facilities, but I must say, they as well are very large and well staffed.

I suppose it's a case of how a particular location is managed.
Where I am parts shops are packed in ridiculous proximity.
Honestly, I should overlay circles of known size on a map and see how many auto parts stores I can cover with it.

Frankly, like video stores, I am expecting some of them to fold due to the (perceived) saturation.

The Pep-Boys near me (Hackensack, NJ) has stuff but seems heavy on "toys". "Toys" means floor mats, affordable stereos, touch up paint.
However, I did pick up an orphaned CV axle for my Volvo there! A special order which was forgotten.
The girl gave me a double discount. I think I paid $60 for it.

They're just nowhere for oil sales.

It works for you and that is great!
I got new tires for an old turd
That day they had buy 3 tires and get the fourth free.
Then I never let others change my oil but this ride is a real pain to service.
Needs ramps etc and that day they gave a free oil change with Pennzoil.

Sure I took it. So The boys are alright by me...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Which PB in NY did you work for? It is good to hear about shops that do the right thing.

True indeed demarpaint... Proves there are good people out there.

Here's the address. Ask for Chris or Indra in service, ASE Certified. Parts almost everyone is kind and helpful as well.
Pep Boys #0348
1321 Sunrise Hwy, Bay Shore, NY 11706

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back