Pep Boys Bosch or O'Reilly Ultima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My starter died on my '06 Camry. No clicking, no nothing. Tested it in-car with the O'Reilly electrical analysis box and it said that the starter failed; was only drawing 45 amps.

Anyway, Pep Boys has a reman, lifetime warranty Bosch for $89, and if I am getting this correct, Bosch offers free roadside assistance for 2 years with the purchase of their starters. O'Reilly has a reman, lifetime warranty Ultima/house-brand starter for $150, but will price match Pep Boys.

What do you think? Is Pep Boys Bosch any good? How is Pep Boys with regard to warranty issues? I've always had a pleasant experience at O'Reilly with regard to warranty issues, but I'm unsure about the quality of their starters.

Should I try replacing the starter solenoid contacts? I had someone do that for me a long, long time ago on another Toyota and the repair is 10+ years old and is still holding up perfectly fine. I'm not sure if the solenoid contacts are the issue here, since there's no clicking, no nothing when I turn the key.

If I had to choose a lifetime warrantied part between the two, I would choose the one from Oreilly Auto simply because of their hours of operation. The Pep Boys stores around here close earlier than Oreillys on week days and they are only open half a day or so on Sundays, whereas the Oreilly Autos around me are open on Sundays almost as long as a regular week day.

The way I see it, if I happen to be traveling, or even if I'm not traveling out of town but motoring around the Metroplex somewhere, and the warrantied part gives up the ghost, I do not want to be stuck waiting until the next day to be able to get a warrantied replacement just because the store closed 30 minutes ago. And that is more likely to happen if I were running a Pep Boys part over an Oreilly part, thus I'd personally choose the Ultima over the Bosch...but that's me.
grin.gif

The Bosch is a much better rebuild. Denso doesn't even replace the bearings unless they are totally shot, just inspect, given the choice I would 100% choose the Bosch.

If I were you, get the starter from 2000 Camry.

The location of the stud and connector is in a different location but the cable will fit fine.
It is a better and more resilient starter, easily rebuildable.

History:
The later model starter is not that good.
I had a 2004 Sienna with the same starter, it went bad as soon as I bought the car (as used).
Then I put a reman/rebuild, it went bad again within a year.
So, I went to a rebuilder, he sold me the older model starter (new TYC) from 2000 camry and it lasted till I sold the car.

You think a starter from a 99 sienna would work? I was trying to pull it out before work, and almost had it out, except the wiring harness was stuck. The part number on the Sienna starter is different from the 06 Camry starter but both are Denso.

I've seen some aftermarket parts claim compatibility with both the 99 sienna and 06 Camry. I wanted to pull out the Sienna starter before work... But time ran out.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I'd go with the Bosch so long as it wasn't rebuilt by Cardone. Check the box and packaging carefully.

What's wrong with Cardone?

Yes, it should.

All the starter have 1 electrical connector and 1 ring connector.
The electrical connector is the same based on my experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Deontologist

They are famous for low quality work in almost everything they rebuild.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I'd go with the Bosch so long as it wasn't rebuilt by Cardone. Check the box and packaging carefully.

Horrible quality and very poor QC, the failure rate of their rebuild stuff especially electrical parts is astronomical.

Well, I got the Bosch starter. O'Reilly refused to match the price. The Bosch was only $89.

The Bosch starter was very nicely packaged. The box was pristine, unlike many O'Reilly boxes. O'Reilly boxes are generally beat up. Inside the Bosch box was a silica gel packet for keeping the starter dry in transport and storage. A nice touch. The Bosch also came with 2 years of free roadside assistance and towing, and a lifetime warranty.

I'm not sure who made the Bosch. The box said that the starter is distributed by Bosch, and QC is handled by Bosch as well.

I will report back if it fails.

Where was it made? the last one I got was Mexico. There are some very good suppliers in China also, there is everything from back alley sweatshops to OE quality manufacturers. IMO if Bosch puts its name on it and backs it with their warranty and QC you can bet its good quality.

I just got one for an old GTI, new Bosch made in Hungary. That is a very old totally modernized Bosch factory which makes a quality product.

Originally Posted by Trav
I just got one for an old GTI, new Bosch made in Hungary. That is a very old totally modernized Bosch factory which makes a quality product.

Yes. I know about this since our monthly Bosch company magazine did a story on this plant recently!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back