People so unreasonable sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the most interesting threads on bitog and I suppose I should thank the OP for being so open as well as whoever got the thread unlocked for allowing it to continue.

My thoughts will start with this quote:

Originally Posted by ToadU
I actually created the industry of "Roam Towing". It didn't exist until I created the concept. We impound hundreds of cars a week. I only accept cash if you would like your car back. Football game weekends we impound over 1,200 cars in a 3 day period. I have armed security at my tow office and bullet proof glass transaction windows. Learned that lesson the hard way years ago. No one killed fortunately.

The OP engages in a technically legal business, but ethically dubious. It's a bit odd that there have been so many complaints about the car owner's attempted "extortion". She was behaving no differently than the significant % of people who always try to take advantage of situations to their own financial benefit. The difference between her and the OP is that he is way better at it. She tried to be opportunistic in that situation. He created a premeditated opportunistic business.

The OP offered $2500 without negotiating despite the car being worth half of that and despite him being a skilled negotiator. He did that because to him it was worth doing it to avoid any headaches if she decided to go home and think about it. He offered her that amount because he wanted the problem to go away. If he could have risked offering less, he would have. I don't think he offered the full asking price out of the goodness of his heart. The OP fully understands that there are, like him, opportunistic people out there, and he didn't know quite who he was dealing with.

Should the lady have been happy regardless of finding out her engine had been destroyed? Logically yes. But how she feels about it and asking for more is her prerogative. She may be perfectly happy now that she's calmed down. She may have been upset that she sold her car to someone she trusted but no longer does (some people decide they want to sell their possessions to people they think will look after them or people they like). Or she may have put on her anger to get more money. And really there is not much wrong with that if we apply the ethical standards of many businesses including this technically legal roam towing business.

Lastly, if you google "roam towing", there are some terrible stories out there, including ones where people coming to pick up a vehicle had a previously parked car follow them into the lot, the gate closing immediately, and then being told that now both cars would need to pay $x to be released. So yes, the lady was technically unreasonable after having gotten her asking price, but far more unreasonable things have been done in the technically legal roam towing business.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
This is one of the most interesting threads on bitog and I suppose I should thank the OP for being so open as well as whoever got the thread unlocked for allowing it to continue.

My thoughts will start with this quote:

I actually created the industry of "Roam Towing". It didn't exist until I created the concept. We impound hundreds of cars a week. I only accept cash if you would like your car back. Football game weekends we impound over 1,200 cars in a 3 day period. I have armed security at my tow office and bullet proof glass transaction windows. Learned that lesson the hard way years ago. No one killed fortunately.

The OP engages in a technically legal business, but ethically dubious. It's a bit odd that there have been so many complaints about the car owner's attempted "extortion". She was behaving no differently than the significant % of people who always try to take advantage of situations to their own financial benefit. The difference between her and the OP is that he is way better at it. She tried to be opportunistic in that situation. He created a premeditated opportunistic business.

The OP offered $2500 without negotiating despite the car being worth half of that and despite him being a skilled negotiator. He did that because to him it was worth doing it to avoid any headaches if she decided to go home and think about it. He offered her that amount because he wanted the problem to go away. If he could have risked offering less, he would have. I don't think he offered the full asking price out of the goodness of his heart. The OP fully understands that there are, like him, opportunistic people out there, and he didn't know quite who he was dealing with.

Should the lady have been happy regardless of finding out her engine had been destroyed? Logically yes. But how she feels about it and asking for more is her prerogative. She may be perfectly happy now that she's calmed down. She may have been upset that she sold her car to someone she trusted but no longer does (some people decide they want to sell their possessions to people they think will look after them or people they like). Or she may have put on her anger to get more money. And really there is not much wrong with that if we apply the ethical standards of many businesses including this technically legal roam towing business.

Lastly, if you google "roam towing", there are some terrible stories out there, including ones where people coming to pick up a vehicle had a previously parked car follow them into the lot, the gate closing immediately, and then being told that now both cars would need to pay $x to be released. So yes, the lady was technically unreasonable after having gotten her asking price, but far more unreasonable things have been done in the technically legal roam towing business.

I appreciate your well thought out comments. It's dangerous to try and say what my intentions were. I would argue my intentions don't matter the outcome does. Maybe my primary care doctor decided to be a doctor because he wanted to be filthy rich (probably would be in plastics if that were the case hahaha) or maybe he truly wanted to help people. Maybe he just has a secret fetish to see people naked. Why does it matter?? He's an excellent doctor and serves me well.

Here's something to chew on when considering my dubious business. On the same street I live on Is a nice house. The man who lives there with his family is a physician. Let's call him Dr J. Super nice. Extremely well respected by at least people who know him casually. After all, he's a doctor. Right!! Prestigious. I'm the carpet bagger with a slimey business living in this let's be honest rich and exclusive neighborhood. I'm the one looked down imo because at the end of the day I'm just a [censored] with a towing company exploiting people by being predatory and stealing their cars.

Dr J is a gynecologist. Prestigious!!! Until you learn what he does. When pressed he says he's passionate about women's health. He is an abortionist. Owns I believe 7 abortion clinics in Florida. He does more abortions than I impound cars. He has a whole business office reaching out on social media to target predominately poor women, strippers, university students and others who are desperate.

He's celebrated. A champion of the highest pedigree. Dr J.

I just impound cars. (And own other companies like my service center impound is not all I do)

Interesting to consider at the very least. Isn't it ??!!

I don't know what article you read in particular but yes people have driven into my lots gate ps and we have impounded their car. Not because they made an innocent wrong turn. Because they used their car to try and stop the operation of my business. Not sure thr article you read was about me specifically or not. I'm far from the only company that does this but I was the first I know of and according to the PWOF...professional wrecker operators of Florida....I helped found btw....I was the innovator of the concept.

Last edited:
I have armed security at my tow office and bullet proof glass transaction windows. Learned that lesson the hard way years ago. No one killed fortunately.

Why not off duty cops? The public will be less likely to do anything with a cop right there who could arrest them on the spot. Plus radio for backup.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I have armed security at my tow office and bullet proof glass transaction windows. Learned that lesson the hard way years ago. No one killed fortunately.

Why not off duty cops? The public will be less likely to do anything with a cop right there who could arrest them on the spot. Plus radio for backup.

I have posted I do have contracts for off duty law enforcement. That's what I use. I won't use local police or Sherrifs. They hate me. I hate them. I use a Florida Fish and Games and State Troopers.

Fun fact I purposely low bid servicing and towing city police vehicles and sheriffs vehicles just so I can do the maintenance on them. Keep your friends close your enemies closers kind of thing. I get a kick out of the fact police cars and Sherrif's cars all get serviced and towed by my companies. Don't really make money at it but do make money from it. Bring your car for service where the police trust theirs to be serviced. Hahahaah

Last edited:
Sorry, after reading this thread I'm really questioning everything about the OP. Something makes me think they have quite the vivid imagination and would make a top selling fictional writer.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Deleted post.

Except, they weren't gonna knock off granny anyway.

Haha!
11.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
Sorry, after reading this thread I'm really questioning everything about the OP. Something makes me think they have quite the vivid imagination and would make a top selling fictional writer.

You're not the only one who's had that thought.

Plenty of folks here have Googled and figured out who I am. I have given plenty of clues. The Camero incident is an actual searchable police report. Happened on July 4th. I did leave out I was the one driving my own truck.....a bit of embarrassment. I was short drivers 4th of July and the old guy..me...got back in the truck. Broke my arm.

I never confirm or deny who I am but it's easy to find out. The person that posted about the person getting trapped behind my gates at one of the impound yards and we charged them an impound fee to leave figured it out too.

Been on the news countless times. Been on Judge Judy.

The times I've had to defend myself using my legally issued concealed carry are well documented in the media and ruled self defense.

I've done a lot of crazy sh*t in my life. Including spending 2 days at Chernobyl and going for a ride and somewhat driving an old Soviet tank in Donbass. Piloted from the right seat an old Soviet Ilyushin turboprop belonging to MotorSich Airways on an actual commercial flight. (US Money is gold. Cost me $20.00) Been visited by Homeland Security and the FBI for positing in an aviation forum how to get around TSA and airport security....that it was and still is a joke. Took a reporter out to stand in front of a USAir B737 on the tarmac of Tampa International at 3am where she took pics of it and we went through zero security. Door was open but we didn't touch it. So ya. Bat sh*t crazy.

Everything here I have shared has been true. As Jack Palance used to say...'Believe it....or Not...

Last edited:
dishdude said:
Everything here I have shared has been true. As Jack Palance used to say...'Believe it....or Not...

I'm so glad I got this thread open again, had a gut instinct you were an interesting guy...

Merry Christmas to you, and all the members here at BITOG!
thankyou2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif

Last edited:

Plenty of folks here have Googled and figured out who I am. I have given plenty of clues. The Camero incident is an actual searchable police report. Happened on July 4th. I did leave out I was the one driving my own truck.....a bit of embarrassment. I was short drivers 4th of July and the old guy..me...got back in the truck. Broke my arm.

I never confirm or deny who I am but it's easy to find out. The person that posted about the person getting trapped behind my gates at one of the impound yards and we charged them an impound fee to leave figured it out too.

Been on the news countless times. Been on Judge Judy.

The times I've had to defend myself using my legally issued concealed carry are well documented in the media and ruled self defense.

I've done a lot of crazy sh*t in my life. Including spending 2 days at Chernobyl and going for a ride and somewhat driving an old Soviet tank in Donbass. Piloted from the right seat an old Soviet Ilyushin turboprop belonging to MotorSich Airways on an actual commercial flight. (US Money is gold. Cost me $20.00) Been visited by Homeland Security and the FBI for positing in an aviation forum how to get around TSA and airport security....that it was and still is a joke. Took a reporter out to stand in front of a USAir B737 on the tarmac of Tampa International at 3am where she took pics of it and we went through zero security. Door was open but we didn't touch it. So ya. Bat sh*t crazy.

I'll admit I'm skeptical to a lot that is posted (not just here but anywhere online) but there are more than a few red flags in this thread, starting with the fact the vehicle only made it from the bay to the front door and just happened to have a for sale sign in the window. For someone running as many hustles as claimed, you sure have a lot of time to post. Maybe it's all true, maybe stolen identity. Either way I wouldn't be proud of taking advantage of or treating people the way depicted in this thread.

I'll admit I'm skeptical to a lot that is posted (not just here but anywhere online) but there are more than a few red flags in this thread, starting with the fact the vehicle only made it from the bay to the front door and just happened to have a for sale sign in the window. For someone running as many hustles as claimed, you sure have a lot of time to post. Maybe it's all true, maybe stolen identity. Either way I wouldn't be proud of taking advantage of or treating people the way depicted in this thread.

Seems like damaging, buying then selling Hondas that were already for sale is a bit of a habit:

https://seeclickfix.com/issues/3254630-predatory-roam-towing-ultimate-owner-stephen-o-grady

The damaged Honda I left my personal business card, drivers lic number and insurance info on the car. It was for sale at the time and when the owner called me I purchased his car at his asking price and then resold it at my car dealership

I'm surprised pretty much no one in this thread has mentioned there are 2 sides to every story and we have only heard one. Not saying the op is lying but being everything else that's being questioned I'm just surprised this has not came up. Perhaps the sale price was really 3,000 and he did negotiate??? Lol
With all that said the way it all went down according to the op he probably wishes he had just been up front about it. I do have a question for toadu, what's this about following into a gate and being charged to get the car back out of the gate all about?? I don't understand the situation???
Also what is roam towing anyway?

Last edited:
If you are a property owner and have somebody illegally parked on your property you can call for a tow. With roam towing, the tow trucks roam around looking for somebody illegally parked, or respond to a spotter working for the tow company, then tow and impound the vehicle. Towing, impound and other fees must be paid before the owner can get his car back.
Apparently roam towing is legal in Florida. I know it isn't in Nevada, but that doesn't stop some unscrupulous companies from doing it. It is very lucrative.

Originally Posted by R1jake
I do have a question for toadu, what's this about following into a gate and being charged to get the car back out of the gate all about?? I don't understand the situation???

https://www.alligator.org/opinion/t...7578472-6b52-11e7-953d-fb7d1c0d65bd.html

Wow!!! Is this seriously what your talking about that you do toadu??? Or is there more to the story? As I said in a earlier post there are 2 sides to every story but if this is seriously the case where the people pull into your lot not knowing there doing anything wrong then being trapped in and having to pay for both cars??? I just wouldn't even know how to respond.

Last edited:
I do have a question for toadu, what's this about following into a gate and being charged to get the car back out of the gate all about?? I don't understand the situation???

https://www.alligator.org/opinion/t...7578472-6b52-11e7-953d-fb7d1c0d65bd.html

Well that sounds like a business to be proud of. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, but it seems to work for the OP.

Wow!!! Is this seriously what your talking about that you do toadu??? Or is there more to the story? As I said in a earlier post there are 2 sides to every story but if this is seriously the case where the people pull into your lot not knowing there doing anything wrong then being trapped in and having to pay for both cars??? I just wouldn't even know how to respond.

Well that sounds like a business to be proud of. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, but it seems to work for the OP.

Don't be so unreasonable people!

...With all that said the way it all went down according to the op he probably wishes he had just been up front about it....
Actually 'if' it all went down 'exactly' as described, I'm thinking the OP wouldn't change a thing. I say that because if it ever went to small claims, as noted this thread highly doubtful the customer would get another cent above that paid.

Otoh, after reading some comments here and background research done into the OP, he might regret posting the experience on bitog. But after reading his recent comments, I'm thinking he's not all that concerned about that either.

I'm glad he posted it, and that it got opened up again. It's been fun and interesting to read some of the comments, including the OP's.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
smile.gif

Oh, regarding the added links, my advice if in the Gainesville Fla area, be careful where you park.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back