People so unreasonable sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your interview process needs to check their mechanic skills and if the have "good sense".

Are you talking two different prior employees? One who forgot to add the oil and one who blabbed the story to the customer?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
How hot was she that he forgot to put oil in the car? Was she changing behind the one way mirror?

Agreed. This thread is worthless without pix. OP owes me my money, or pix.

I agree! We,at BITOG all demand to see pics of the superhot chickadee
wink.gif

Selling a car is a TOTAL pita! The customer should've been ecstatic,and gone and bought all of your staff dinner. She got 100% her asking price. If she'd sold it on her own, she would've been bargained down way lower than her asking price.

Should've fired the guy that told her the story.
lol.gif

On a more serious note, if you were just honest upfront with what happened you might not have had this issue. After 25 years that should've been common sense.

Donald and Eddie beat me to it.

OK, mistakes happen in a large shop over a 25 year span.

Were the 2 employees "normal" or do you hire retards? Nothing inflammatory or insulting here, just askin'.

How many episodes like this have you gone through?

Ha-ha....the "common sense test" you need is akin to the one people should be required to take in order to have children.
(Flame suit on)

Unfortunately you have no control over what comes out an employees mouth, I would have booted him too. It might be time to review your hiring techniques. Perhaps spend more time on the what if's and testing for common sense in the interview process. I'm sure after this you can easily see if a person lacks common sense by asking questions prior to hiring someone. I hired a gem or two in my career, and learned by my mistakes early on. Take this as a $2,500 lesson.

What you have done is engaged in theft by deception.

The ethical response to this situation would have been to be transparent with the customer and fully inform them of the situation.
You could have then offered to purchase the car or replace the engine.
By withholding critical information from the customer so as to prevent them from making a fully informed decision, you took the unethical path in an attempt to minimize your own costs with no consideration for the customers decision making process.

These types of behaviors are exactly what give many auto repair businesses a bad name.

Good day.

Originally Posted by Imp4

The ethical response to this situation would have been to be transparent with the customer and fully inform them of the situation.
By withholding critical information from the customer so as to prevent them from making a fully informed decision, you took the unethical path in an attempt to minimize your own costs with no consideration for the customers decision making process.

These types of behaviors are exactly what give many auto repair businesses a bad name.

Good day.

+1

Crooked mechanic and shop for sure.

Good day.
Nonsense.

Originally Posted by wag123

Good day.
Nonsense.

+1 He paid full pop for the car. I remember breaking a lamp moving it. The customer was supposed to remove all breakable items from the room prior to us painting it, as outlined in my contract. She didn't, she was old and I thought I'd do the right thing and help. Anyhow I broke the lamp. Instead of going to Pergament's 5 minutes away and buying the same lamp for $9.99 and replacing it, I told her I broke the lamp and would make good on it. She proceeded to tell me it was an antique worth hundreds of dollars. Had that been the case I'm insured. I picked up the lamp and on the base was a price from Pergament for $8.99. I laughed and told her I'd be a sport and give her $10 for it or buy it for her from Pergament's down the road. People can be ungrateful A-holes at times, in my instance I should have just bought the lamp like I wanted to. She had no clue I broke it until I told her.

Last edited:
….What you have done is engaged in theft by deception......
Come on. As he gave the owner/customer "exactly" the amount she was asking on the vehicle for sale sign, how can it be "theft". Rhetorical, it can't be. I don't see folks offering more money than someone is asking, never. And proof, until the dopey employee opened his yapper, she was happy as a lark.

Like I said, for me cool story. As for second employee, Matt Foley would have had something to say to him.....

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by wag123

Good day.
Nonsense.

+1 He paid full pop for the car.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by atikovi
You keep $2500 cash all the time? What's your address?
lol.gif

He's a business owner running a big shop. I bet the money was locked in the safe.
wink.gif

Who said anything about paying in cash?

I don't think, "How 'bout I buy your car for the $2,500?" constitutes any theft of any kind.

Presumably she had the option to say, "Oh, I just threw that sign in the window. I need to edit it.
It was from a prior sale for a $2,500 car. This one is a different price."

She didn't. She didn't even ask, "Why do you want to buy it?"

Car offered for sale in comport with her circumstances.
Offer accepted and car bought in comport with the garage owner's.
No gun to anyone's head. No lie or obfuscation involved.

Does having a donor engine make his acceptance of the offer dishonest? I don't think so.

Can an argument for "disingenuousness" be made? Sure but it'd be immaterial.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by atikovi
You keep $2500 cash all the time? What's your address?
lol.gif

He's a business owner running a big shop. I bet the money was locked in the safe.
wink.gif

I know that, but why have that much cash around? To make change? Few customers pay with cash these days from what I read, except in low income areas.

First off, $2,500 ain't that much now-a-days.

Sometimes a vendor needs to be paid in cash.

A small or rarely used parts supplier (or tire distributor) may eschew establishing a new account in favor of an "out the door" single sale.

Some freak comes in and wants stupid wheels nobody wants to stock so the owner of the service station has to go buy them from some source he'll NEVER go to again.
Both parties want it to be cash and over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back