People are checking oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of those people that will check the oil at the gas station.....here in FL (at least where I'm at....) it seems our gas stations are the only "level" places...lol. Roads are bumpy, my drive way is a slope....so if I wanted to accurately check the oil level I'd have to park at the end/edge of the drive way :p

But yea, scenario is typically:

Pull in
Pop hood
Get out.
Pump Gas (attended at the pump at all times).
Close gas cap.
Hang fuel hose.
Squeegee my windows and windshield.
Grab paper towels.

Check my oil level.

Really, it seems like a lot, but it's maybe 5 minutes tops....that's filling my ~10 gallon tank, washing the windows, and checking the oil level.

I don't check the oil level every gas up....usually every-other though.

I like checking at home, cold. No towel needed; my dipstick is a straight shot in. Since I get a slight amount of grime on my hands I can go in my own nice bathroom to wash up.

Checking at a gas station is for road trips or unplanned duress. I'd rather use the time pumping and free squeegie to get the windows clear.

^I agree. Straight dipstick as well for me, but I wipe it anyway just for a second 'reading' to be sure.
grin2.gif

When I'm driving different work trucks, I always check the oil. And if it's a truck I haven't driven, it's ALWAYS 3 qts low. Strange, eh?

Maybe there was a peer pressure situation going on with the OP.

I do not see anyone down here in Miami checking their oil [or anything else] ever..You would think they would with the jungle heat,traffic and running the a/c constantly all year long.

I did see a taxi driver in Miami the other day in a parking lot adding 3 quarts of oil to his 03 or 04 cab while his passengers sat quietly in the back...It hurt me to see the Crown Vic [former X patrol car] to be treated that way.

I'll check it once in a while there, if I have not checked it in a while.

Maybe it is because people realize they need to take care of their cars now..

Cars I have hardly ever burn oil and I check the oil level once a month or so. I do not see other people checking their oil levels with new cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back