Penzoil yellow and Penzoil Plat question

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am sure this has been asked quite a few times and i have not been on the site in awhile. i drive an 02 taco 4x4 3.4v6 auto with 127k miles on her. the drive is 70% highway and 30% city. question is can i use penzoil yellow for 5k miles and can i use PP for 7-8k miles under the above scenerio? i keep the air filter clean however it has been shown that tacos and 4 runners may have intake issues as far as it not being filtered (air) like it should due to the drop in filters (according to Dyson.. maintenance is a must for me so she is up to date on everything.

has the formulations changed in penzoil and PP?

Formulation has changed a LOT with YB...no longer uses moly, but has over 100ppm of Boron to reduce wear and deposits. PP has increased the amount of Ca detergent in it to up the TBN and cleaning power.

thanks johnny

i have noticed the sludge cleaning commercials now which sparked my interest since i have not visited this board in a while.. does the wear on both still pretty top notch like it has been in the past couple of years? sorry for keeping out of the loop but i have always liked penzoil

I went 7500 miles on Pennzoil Platinum on my last OCI in my ES330 and the wear numbers were very low. I have been using PP for the last 25,000 miles and the wear numbers are very low. I love the add pack in both oils. Right now PP is a kick [censored] oil!!

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
What OCI can YB reasonably do in engines that are easy on oil like Honda's?

Higher with a confirmation through a UOA.

i hear that.. did you change oil filters or did you ride that one out with only one? i have been using valvoline syn and usually change the oil around 6k-7k miles. i rarely go over 7k (since i have not had a UOA done)

PP or YB will do fine for your specified OCI's. On your Taco change the air filter every 20k versus the 30k recommended and all will be good with any filter. I have been told by my Toyo wrench to change with a cheap filter every 20k versus an expensive one every 30k is better.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
What OCI can YB reasonably do in engines that are easy on oil like Honda's?

Higher with a confirmation through a UOA.

I was wondering that myself.

My wife's CR-V (about 70k miles) is very easy on oil. She has nearly 5k on the PP, and the oil is still remarkably clean.
My 1997 Monte Carlo (about 140k miles) has just over 3k and look pretty dirty. (I know we can't go by looks, and the Monte has many more miles than the Honda, but the difference in appearance is...interesting)

Honda recommends 10k OCI for standard service. Yikes!

i change my filter every other or every third oil change no doubt.. purolator air filter.. those drop ins suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back