Penzoil Plat 5w-30 6090 miles 03 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was run to 1% remaining on OLM. A Supertech filter was used. I was really concerned with the dramatic increase in an extra 1K miles. I changed the oil and filter with the same as in the previous sampling to have back to back results.

My gut feeling tells me that this vehicle doesn't care for the 6K on this oil.
blackstone03tahoemw3.jpg

I would switch brands of oil and oil filter. For improved wear results, some engines prefer conventional oil. Try something like Maxlife semi-syn for 5K - perhaps a Pure One or Wix/NAPA Gold filter.

Wow, that iron is really up there ... and was last result too. Do you tow? I'd expect lead to be elevated more than it is.

I'd use conventional oil and 3,000 - 4,000 miles until you get better results. And yes, I'd try a different filter, too ... Wix, Pure-One, etc ...

something tells me you need to step up in viscosity but GM V-8's spit out wear metals. It's either a combination of that and the winter driving. I don't think the oil is the culprit in this. pennzoil platinum is a quality synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
something tells me you need to step up in viscosity but GM V-8's spit out wear metals. It's either a combination of that and the winter driving. I don't think the oil is the culprit in this. pennzoil platinum is a quality synthetic.

If the search worked I would show some GM v-8s that had very low mear metals.

My UOAs with my 2000 Silverado 4.8l V8 had single digits in every metal field.

I'd recommend a Conventional oil like Pennzoil with the Supertech filter for 4-5k or 6 months and see how that UOA looks.

Again, the search stinks
mad.gif
or I would have shown a link or two.

Bill

What oil was used back in 06? Relative to averages for this engine, Fe is high, but it's not alarming.

This truck hasn't seen a trailer that I know of. I am the second owner and I talked to the original purchaser and they never towed with it before I bought it in 06.

Insolubles are low so a ST filter is sufficient. If the filter was an area of concern the insolubles would be very high.

Unknown oil brand in 06. Whatever the dealer used I'm guessing.

I think after this batch of PP it is going to be a semi-syn or conventional to see how it does.

The 50 for iron is not abnormal nor excessive. I would think this oil can go 7.5 K without an issue. It is staying easy in the 30wt range. Try the 10/30 this next time and see if that helps the iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back