Penz 5/30 or supertech synthetic 5/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i was just wondering. i use penz high milage 5/30 in my work car buick 3.1, i recently started to buy the value 5 qt. jug for the oil change with the st 3387a [i believe that is the number] oil filter.

My question is the Supertech synthetic 5/30 any better than the penz high milage 5/30. The reason is the 5 qt. jug of st synthetic is about the same price.

is there any benefit to switching to the supertech?

thanks

Well..the SuperTech seems to do O.K. I would use it over the Pennzoil (Probably). As I recall the 3387A is the small filter you should go with the larger 3980 (I could be wrong with that number)

[ July 01, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

I don't know anything about your engine, but I think that you will do fine on either oil, assuming that you are not trying to do highly extended OCI, racing, etc.

Why not try the new oil and see if it makes the engine quieter, smoother, better gas mileage, etc? If it makes you HAPPY, then you have your answer.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

SWS

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
...the 3387A is the small filter you should go with the larger 3980 (I could be wrong with that number)

The 3387A and the 3980 are identical except for length...I've used the 3980 (or equivalent) on my 2001 GMC Safari AWD since it's first oil change, and it calls for the 3387A (or equiv). The longer filter makes me more comfortable using a 5,000 mile OCI...

I guess what im looking for, and thank you for your time and input. Is supertech synth better than a penz dino? sorry i whould have been more specific sorry. But i would like to say i have learned alot from all of you guys over the the past months as i am a novice mechanic [by novice i mean very small and basic jobs :]. ok not a mechanic more so a fiddler and what not.

I just recently wanted to be more proactive in my cars and i tell you its great therapy to start wrenchin on stuff. blah blah blah....
smile.gif
ok done yappin

I have used SuperTech Synthetic, and it has done well. I would recommend using it over the Pennzoil, most definately. Unless your engine is leaking, the SuperTech should yield better mpg, better oil flow and better protection through a wider variation of temperatures, none-the-less going longer OCI's is fine, if you wish. Yes, it is a Group III, maybe some ester content 'synthetic' oil, but really, for $11.88/5qts it's priced right for a synthetic. If the question came to Valvoline synpower junk for $21.88/5qts or SuperTech Synthetic for $11.88, certainly the ST is a great buy! If fact, using it instead of the Pennzoil, as they are closely priced, seems like a smart move! Good luck, and if you use it, let us know how it does for your application.

quote:

Originally posted by waldo1:
*-*-*-
My question is the Supertech synthetic 5/30 any better than the penz high milage 5/30. The reason is the 5 qt. jug of st synthetic is about the same price.

If you are happy with past results then I see no reason to change. ME, I'd give their SUV oil a shot, IT did very well in my Tacoma, but some will complain about it.

Bottom line... What do you mean by better?
Price wise?
Protection wise?
What?

The truth. And I do sell an oil band which shall remain nameless. ALL OILS on the market today are fine. THey will all do your engine well. The thing is WHOSE MANTRA or whose RELIGION do you believe? It's all religion, all this oil B.S. is a religion. Whose BE-LIE-F do you be-lie-ve....
ALL oils rated for your engine are good and they will all protect, and most will get you through the service life of your requirements.

It is true though that some are better, even twice or thrice as good as the next, but does that mean between 300K and 600K or 400K and 800K, who cares.... most people except for me and fleets will never keep them that long anyhow.

Now, where the oil does count is in the payback.
How much does it COST you to run the oil you run?
That's the real and only question to me and maybe for you to consider.

Who cares if the oil costs 5.00 a quart if it gives twice the life and 1-2-5% the fuel savings and three times the OCI....... IT comes down my friend to ROI . That's the TRUTH, listen or not, I have said it and to each his own. Yah's Blessings to those that understand.!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back