Pento high performance 5W40 oil pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 5 liters of this oil at a local parts house for $5.50 a litre, they stock Pentosin. I'm sure it's grp 3 but i'll give it a try, it says synthetic on the bottle. It's going in my 2005 VW Jetta GLI 1.8T.

-

-

I think it's just regular pentosynth in a new bottle.

What would be interesting though is to figure out what this stuff is . . .

http://www.germanautoparts.com/chemicals/Engine oil and additives/Pentosin#1

From looking at the Pentosin german website, there are three lines . . .

Vollsynthetische Technologien: (full synthetic)
Teilsynthetische Technologien: (partial synthetic)
HC-basierte Technologien: (HC-based synthetic)

HC = hydrocracked ?

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
yeah, I foundn shop in San Diego that sells Liqui-Moly (thanks windnsea) and I was wondering about this HC-syn myself.

I used their 5w30 HC in an E39 525iT. It seemed a bit pricey for what I believe is a blended synthetic but I went for it due to the LL-01 rating and general curiosity. It actually cost more than their full synthetic 5w40. I usually get their 5 liter jug of 5w40 for $25 under BMWCCA
smile.gif

Thanks Georgiablue
smile.gif
Well boys, 5 liters went in the GLI today, along with a Napa Gold 1191. Engine already feels smoother, just kidding. Will do a UOA eventually, but that will take some time, I only drive this one on the weekends.

It's interesting. And none of these, above mentioned, oils have VW/Audi 503.1 (is it W engines Long life or something similar?). I guess I will stay with GC, only easily accessible (and fairly affordable) oil with the spec (at least seems so). Dealer, BTW, uses Elf Exellium (for all synthetic changes), which doesn't have 503.1 as well. Well, sorry. M1 is approved 503.1 oil but I don't want to use it for other reasons.

quote:

Originally posted by Vlad:
It's interesting. And none of these, above mentioned, oils have VW/Audi 503.1 (is it W engines Long life or something similar?). I guess I will stay with GC, only easily accessible (and fairly affordable) oil with the spec (at least seems so). Dealer, BTW, uses Elf Exellium (for all synthetic changes), which doesn't have 503.1 as well. Well, sorry. M1 is approved 503.1 oil but I don't want to use it for other reasons.

The Pentosin pentospeed 0w30 has 503, but i'd still choose GC.

Dave

According to the manufacturer PENTO High Performance is a HC-based oil, i.e. it is not a true synthetic like PentoSynth. May be the base stock contains some PAO, but its main part should be a hydrocracked oil. The composition is similar to the majority of actual 5W-40 oils.

Pentospeed 0W-30 VS is a very good oil and it may easily rival with GC. Unfortunately it is not available in Ukraine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back