Pentastar oil filter housing

Probably much stronger than the molded plastic housing, but don't worry an inexperienced person changing the oil filter can surely crack this housing by over torqueing. I wonder how much it costs?

If it is a good reliable part, they're going to make a killing. Not sure why it took so long for the aftermarket to jump on this.

The conundrum is "do i replace a part with one i know sucks (OEM), or one that 'might suck' (Dorman)" j/k
If your OEM isn't cracked, then don't fix it. If it is cracked, the redesigned OEM is supposedly much stronger. It is a conundrum

My Durango has the redesigned OEM cooler/filter housing and I haven't had any problems with it. However, I know that the o-ring seals the filter housing and not 1000lb/ft of torque when the filter housing bottoms out like the kid at the dealer who cracked mine seems to think.

They also make a Coolant Crossover pipe, because the original is plastic. The next thing will be the thermostat housing which is made out of plastic.

Reactions: JTK
Chrysler redesigned the part (for the 2014 MY) to address the cracking issue and the revised part is in fact cheaper than the 2011-13 design. It does use a different oil filter so you have to keep that in mind when changing the oil. Motor City Mechanic made a good video about it, and you can swap the 2014+ part into a 2011-13 engine.

Interesting. There's no heat exchanger on it so I assume you have to move the OEM cooler onto the doorman product as well as the temperature and pressure sensors.

Chrysler redesigned the part (for the 2014 MY) to address the cracking issue and the revised part is in fact cheaper than the 2011-13 design. It does use a different oil filter so you have to keep that in mind when changing the oil. Motor City Mechanic made a good video about it, and you can swap the 2014+ part into a 2011-13 engine.
Problem is, the 2014+ still develop leaks.

I can tell you that I had some input on that design with the ideation team at Dorman and that they put a lot of engineering time into designing the part. Its only out a couple weeks and I have not used one yet but if one fails it isnt for lack of effort on Dormans part

While not usually a dorman fan, that does look good. That said Id want one in hand first to see up close. Someone said above it was redesigned in 14...that wasnt for leaks, that was because the center bypass valve used to fall apart. The the 14 up, fails WAY more often. But! While over tightening the cap can make them leak, I have seen lots leak, that I personally have maintained since new. The melted in plugs are a crap design, and thats where most leak.

Dorman's model is to make replacement parts for common OE failure components. Question for this group: Has anyone had a Dorman part fail when it replaced the failed OE part? I'm not suggesting they have zero defects but they do know why the OE part fails and correct that for the replacement part they are manufacturing.

I can tell you that I had some input on that design with the ideation team at Dorman and that they put a lot of engineering time into designing the part. Its only out a couple weeks and I have not used one yet but if one fails it isnt for lack of effort on Dormans part
Thanks for sharing this. I really hope this part is successful.

Oh and someone mentioned plastic crossover....the crossover is fine, its the cheap quality oring they use that leaks. I reuse the crossover all the time.
I often wondered if this scenario also plays out with the oil filter housing considering the amount of O-ring seals on it and the amount of movement you get with aluminum or plastic.

Back