PentaStar Amsoil EAK Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If FCA goes down again, its the Italians turn to bail them out"

I think that has already happened and Fiat is looking for buyers but the asking price is too high.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
If FCA goes down again, its the Italians turn to bail them out.
28.gif

I think the Italians did bail them out. If it weren't for the Italians, Chrysler would be a brand name simply owned by someone else or a memory.

Originally Posted by PimTac
"If FCA goes down again, its the Italians turn to bail them out"I think that has already happened and Fiat is looking for buyers but the asking price is too high.

Originally Posted by Garak
I think the Italians did bail them out. If it weren't for the Italians, Chrysler would be a brand name simply owned by someone else or a memory.

There is a difference between a BUYout and a BAILout. Fiat bought Chrysler, betting their Jeep & Ram SUV lines would make them profitable, and it has.

The U.S. taxpayer was essentially billed for what it took to sell Chrysler to the Italians, so taxpayers got sca-rewed.
(The federal government took over GM and Chrysler in March 2009. It fired GM CEO Rick Wagoner and required Chrysler to merge with Italy's Fiat S.p.A.)

ChryslerBail.JPG

Originally Posted by Garak
If FCA goes down again, its the Italians turn to bail them out.
28.gif

I thought at the time, and still do now, that Chrysler could have stopped producing cars, and just sold their profitable Jeep & pickups/SUV lines to a group of investors, as the oil shock of 2008 was over by about a year and it was already obvious that those parts of the company were profitable.
Instead, they flailed around with cars (non-CUV/SUV/4WD stuff) and continued to lose money for years under Fiat leadership.

The laughable low point was the TV commercials with Charlie Sheen selling the Fiat 500. Just weird junk. It showed Fiat still wanted to lose money like the old Chrysler white-haired num-nuts did.

There is a difference between a BUYout and a BAILout. Fiat bought Chrysler, betting their Jeep & Ram SUV lines would make them profitable, and it has.

There certainly is a difference, but I don't doubt that Fiat did some capital expenditure, too, not to mention brought in different management. And yes, the Jeep and Ram lines are the most important in the Chrysler stable. With respect to your second post, flirtation with selling Ram and Jeep wouldn't be a good long term strategy, in my opinion. There certainly is value there, but it's the other side of the two-sided worthless coin of Ford wanting to get rid of every car except the Mustang. Chrysler does make a few interesting vehicles, aside from the Ram and Jeep lines, but if they sell Ram and Jeep, I'm certainly not rushing to buy a Fiat 500.

On the positive side, I can now get a Magneti Marelli oil filter for my G37, should I so choose, when I couldn't get a Mopar one before.
wink.gif

I know our government here just wrote off all the loans they issued Chrysler during the financial crisis because they couldn't go after them for the money now that they are technically a different legal entity as FCA and not Chrysler Canada any longer. Which is sad because it was a lot of cash. IT was on the radio the other day.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I know our government here just wrote off all the loans they issued Chrysler during the financial crisis because they couldn't go after them for the money now that they are technically a different legal entity as FCA and not Chrysler Canada any longer. Which is sad because it was a lot of cash. IT was on the radio the other day.
Tell me about it. I had some GM stock before they changed their name to "The New GM" which meant they got to keep all the money they ever got in stock, making the shares worthless, zero. .... So Canadian taxpayers gave that loser Chrysler a pile of money too, eh? I wonder how much that was. I guess Canada did that because of the car plants in Canada. ... If there was justice, every over-priced Ram pickup or Wrangler sold would pay a "special tax" to the Canadian & U.S. treasury because of the rip-offs.

Garak, good discussion, and I wonder if the Charger/Challenger/300S LX-platform vehicles actually did make money in the last 10 years. They might have. I think the other car models probably lost money, and were almost always rated worst in quality & performance (Caliber, PT Cruiser, Dart, 200, etc.), and should never have been allowed to drag the company down from 2009-now.

Yeah bugs me royally as a tax-payer. However it feeds a lot of local industrial jobs so we couldn't not do it because the effects to our economy would have been devastating. Its also good for the industry I'm in as we sell to the auto-industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back