Penrite base oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen shot from a promo video for Penrite. I was a little surprised to see this info displayed:

Here's a link to the video: https://youtu.be/U-XognLlDSU

[Linked Image]

Possible base oil IDs:

Mobil Core 2500=bright stock
POA 4 (?) possibly PAO 4 cSt
Mobil EHCs=Group II
Etro and Yubase=Group III

Originally Posted by RDMgr
Possible base oil IDs:

Mobil EHCs=Group II

One of the plant upgrades to make EHC (GII+) was Singapore.
SK is Korean - but global supplier

Thanks for the post KB and thanks for the translation RDMgr & 4WD.

I wonder what they use the Bright Stock (Group 1) for ? The Mobil Core 2500 has a KV100 of 30.6-32.7 cSt.

Maybe for their HPR 50 (40W-70) that has a KV100 = 31.2 cSt. This oil is only rate API SG to SL, no modern specs.

Do we even know how much …? A small amount of GI could be used for the additive package … but was thinking a major use for GI would be large slow speed marine engines taking hundreds of gallons to fill.

Even the relatively cheap Delvac OTR lubes use EHC and have a Noack that support that claim.

Yeah, or a carrier oil for their add package, that too makes sense.

How thick can you get a Group II ? Does it go that thick or is it Group III that has some limitations on how thick it goes ?

I believe Joe once posted a comment on using bright stock for very thick oils. But unfortunately he isn't around anymore.

EHC shows 4.4 to 12.7 on the website … with enough choices to blend base stocks
VM added as required

Originally Posted by 4WD
EHC shows 4.4 to 12.7 on the website … with enough choices to blend base stocks
VM added as required

Group III (mostly) Yubase come in 2,4,6 and 8 which roughly translates to its KV100 viscosity

Found it !!
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4452669/1

We were talking about a different product from Nulon, but another thick oil
Nulon 25W-60 Street & Track, mineral oil, (API SG)
High Zinc (ZDDP) and High Moly (MoDTc) oil, TBN = 5.4, Zinc = 1900 ppm
KV40 = 276.9 cSt, KV100 = 23.92 cSt

Originally Posted by SonofJoe

To make a 25W60 like this, the oil's going to have to contain an appreciable amount of Group I Bright Stock. For those that don't know, this is stuff that you get from the Propane De-Asphalthing of Vacuum Residue (the heaviest and blackest stuff you get from an oil refinery). It will be very high in sulphur, nitrogen and aromatics. There are no Group II, II+ or III equivalents of Bright Stock.

Now don't get me wrong. I personally like Bright Stock. A couple of percent in a PCMO can work wonders, especially for things like diesel piston cleanliness. However, because of their high benzylic hydrogen content, they can be extremely oxidatively unstable. A very high ZDDP treat and a splash of Moly will only go so far in mitigating the problem and the TBN is worryingly low. Just don't try extended oil drains on an oil like this. In fact check the dip stick frequently because when this oil breaks, it will likely break very quickly. Leave an oil like this in too long unchecked and you could easily see its KV100 top 4000 cst at which point, your problem becomes one of 'how do I drain this stuff from my engine?'.

Originally Posted by SonofJoe

The 20W60 your mate (the one man pollution factory!) is currently using will contain quite a lot of VII. I'm guessing that it will have an aggregate base oil KV100 of around 10.5 cst. The Nulon 25W60 on the other hand will have a much higher base oil KV100. I'm going to assume this stuff contains no, or very little, Ashless Dispersant and no VII so the base oil KV100 is going to be around 20+. Bright Stock itself has a KV100 of around 33 cst which gives you an idea of just how viscous this stuff is. Couple that very high base oil viscosity with a shed load of ZDDP and some Moly and you have a very strong film strength lubricant.

I miss old Joe ...

For the Penrite HPR 50 (40-70 grade)

Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.881
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 40°C 325
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 100°C 31.2
Viscosity Index 133
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -10°C 8166
Ca content, Mass % 0.176
Zinc, Mass % 0.145
Phosphorus, Mass % 0.132
Sulphated Ash, Mass % 0.85
Total Base Number (TBN) 5.8

Just for comparison with the Nulon discussion above (BTW Nulon has a VI of 108, so probably close to a monograde)

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by RDMgr
Possible base oil IDs:

Mobil EHCs=Group II

One of the plant upgrades to make EHC (GII+) was Singapore.
SK is Korean - but global supplier

Both EHC's are made in Singapore. Etrox are Petronas, so it is a very Asian collection of base oils as you would probably expect for an Australian company.

Could the Core 2500 be used in gear oils?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back