Penrite ATF LV for WS Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Looking at doing a fluid change on my Toyota Prado (4 runner in the USA?) It's the 5 speed A750 auto tranny.

Specifically asking if anyone has used Penrite Fully Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF LV for anything that specifies a WS fluid?

This fluid has listed as industry specifications:

Aisin AW-1
BMW Part# 83 22 0 397 114
BMW Part# 83 22 0 397 859
BMW Part# 83 22 9 407 858
Ford MERCON-LV (M2C938-A)
Ford M2C922-A1
Ford M2C924-A
GM DEXRON-VI
Hyundai SP-IV
Honda DW-1
JASO 1A
JASO 2A-02
JWS 3324
Kia SP-IV
Mercedes MB 236.41
Mitsubishi SP-IV
Mitsubishi Dia Queen J2/J3
Nissan/Infiniti Matic S
Toyota WS

Typical data listed is:

Density at 15c, kg/l .......... 0.846
cSt 40c ......... 28.0
cSt 100c ........ 5.7
VI ......... 147
Viscosity, Brooksfield -40c ........ 10,820
Phosphorus, mass% ......... 0.017

** side note. I was originally looking at getting valvoline maxlife however that wasn't available.

So has anyone (most likely from Australia) used this in a Toyota that specs WS?

Cheers and thanks for your input.

Not many replies yet,

I haven't used this particular oil but I did use Penrite MHP (part syn) in my Toyota requiring T-IV. It worked fine for 5 years and 60,000km

Most blenders will quote Toyota WS on a Dex VI type product, the Penrite offer appears pretty standard. The only more specialized option I know of is Castrol Transmax FE Multivehicle. I expect the Penrite LV to work well. I wouldn't personally use Maxlife and Nulon etc who offer a one size fits all solution.

Last edited:
Remember XOM blends the syrup for Toyota for decades. Knowing the exact chemistry is a ttrae secret and all other blenders can get close but cannot claim compatibility

Originally Posted By: supercity
Not many replies yet,

I haven't used this particular oil but I did use Penrite MHP (part syn) in my Toyota requiring T-IV. It worked fine for 5 years and 60,000km

Most blenders will quote Toyota WS on a Dex VI type product, the Penrite offer appears pretty standard. The only more specialized option I know of is Castrol Transmax FE Multivehicle. I expect the Penrite LV to work well. I wouldn't personally use Maxlife and Nulon etc who offer a one size fits all solution.

Yeah, didn't think there would be too much of a reply. It's a new product and generally limited to Aust.

I'm also going to get a new tranny filter and gasket to do the job properly and flush it through the cooler tube.

Will post back once I've done it with some feedback.

PS, I believe Penrite used to recommend their ATF FS for WS (and T-IV) however they have recently come out with LV (low viscosity) and taken the recommendation for WS from the FS to LV. I also read somewhere (maybe here) that the OEM WS fluid is 6.0 cSt 100c which is close to the 5.7 cSt 100c of the LV (FS is 7.4 cSt 100c).

So I changed the transmission fluid today. The car (2006 Toyota Prado with 5 speed A750F tranny) was leveled on the drive way with some ramps. Drained the pan (approx 3 litres), refilled, took the cooler line off, started car and flushed it through, refilled, flushed etc until clean fluid came out. Took about 10 litres to do this.

The old fluid was black. I'm not sure if it's ever been replaced but it smelt burnt too. Car has 230,000 km's on it.

Replaced it with Penrite ATF LV which is supposed to be WS type fluid and has WS written on the pack (don't think it has official approval).

Wow. In the 5km's I drove after the flush, on upshifts the shifts are much faster and crisper. On downshifts (like flooring the accelerator) it also shifts into gear much much faster and crisper.

All up, very happy with the flush and very happy with the fluid. Will report back after working the tranny hard 4wding but at this stage, I can recommend it as a WS fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back