Mercedes 722.6 ATF

Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
109
Location
Maryland
Hello, I would like to know what other transmission fluids i could use for the Mercedes Benz 722.6 5-speed transmission? I know i can use Fuchs Titan atf 4134, Shell atf 134 or go to the dealer and buy the fluid but have anyone that have a Mercedes with a 722.6 transmission used other fluids like Redline, Amsoil, Maxlife and other fluids successfully. I have a case of Amsoil and here's the transmission applications below....Thanks AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF is recommended for transmissions and other applications that require any of the following specifications: Ford MERCON* LV, SP; GM DEXRON* VI, DEXRON* HP; Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426, Dsih 6p805; Honda DW-1*; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR, NSW-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Chrysler Mopar* P/N 68157995A, SP-IV; Mercedes-Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA; Nissan Matic-S, Matic-W; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volkswagen/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162 ,G 052 540; Volvo 31256774, ZF S671 090 255

BA00225_ATL_140x280.jpg
 
Joined
Dec 28, 2016
Messages
2,764
Location
MURICA
I have used Shell ATF 134 with no ill effects and my transmission was running like butter when I sold the car. ATF134 is a lot cheaper than quite a few other options too. My $0.02
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
11,638
Location
MA
There's a difference between recommended and approved. I only used fluids on MB's approved list. I believe those fluids you mentioned are not on MB's approved list. You're making things a bit too complicated. I just use Shell ATF 134 from a Shell distributor. About $60 for a case of 12 quarts. Of course if you want to pay top dollar, you could go to the MB dealer and pay $20+ per quart. Or pay top dollar for a fluid that's not even on their approved list. https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.14_en.html https://www.shell.us/business-customers/lubricants-for-business/lubricants-distributor-locator.html
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2013
Messages
1,647
Location
UT
Originally Posted by Wolf359
There's a difference between recommended and approved. I only used fluids on MB's approved list. I believe those fluids you mentioned are not on MB's approved list. You're making things a bit too complicated. I just use Shell ATF 134 from a Shell distributor. About $60 for a case of 12 quarts. Of course if you want to pay top dollar, you could go to the MB dealer and pay $20+ per quart. Or pay top dollar for a fluid that's not even on their approved list. https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.14_en.html https://www.shell.us/business-customers/lubricants-for-business/lubricants-distributor-locator.html
Great advice. I've become very skeptical when fluid manufacturers say "Recommended for". Give me the Approved For stuff.
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
11,638
Location
MA
Originally Posted by charmer37
I'll get the fuchs, That's MB approved oil cool
Why not the Shell? Should be fine at the Shell distributor. I called one up on the list and they told me they had some huge number in stock, how many cases did I want? I just said one and they had no problem processing it as a cash sale. How much is Fuchs? Here's a pic I took: [Linked Image]
 

charmer37

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
109
Location
Maryland
There's a lot of choices for fluid and i don't have a shell distributor in my area, I will find the best price and buy the Mercedes fluid online.
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
11,638
Location
MA
Originally Posted by charmer37
There's a lot of choices for fluid and i don't have a shell distributor in my area, I will find the best price and buy the Mercedes fluid online.
Shell's site only list distributor headquarters. You'd have to go to each distributor and see if they have multiple locations. The one I got mine at had 3 locations but was only listed once on Shell's site.
 
Joined
May 12, 2018
Messages
482
Location
England
Hi Why not use ATF+4? Jeep used the German made 722.6 coupled to the OM642 Engine in the Grand Cherokee and ATF+4 was the approved fluid. There are many thousands of these Transmissions running ATF+4 happily.
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
591
Location
Atlanta, GA
Both dealership changes I have had done on the below cars had the Shell 134 used for refill - if its good enough for the dealership as their fill I don't think there should be any ? on the suitability of the fluid.
 
Joined
Sep 6, 2009
Messages
524
Location
Lead, South Dakota
Originally Posted by Audios
If youve got it, why not use it? It meets the 236.14 as per Amsoil.
It meets the spec per Amsoil, who has a vested interest in selling you Amsoil. It does not meet spec per Mercedes, who has a vested interest in their transmissions not exploding. Will it work? Probably. Is it approved? No.
 

charmer37

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
109
Location
Maryland
I used the Amsoil, The Amsoil worked great in the Bmw and Audi transmissions and it works great in the Mercedes, No problems here. I buy oil and atf on a as needed basis and i get Amsoil fluids half price.
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
11,638
Location
MA
Originally Posted by charmer37
I used the Amsoil, The Amsoil worked great in the Bmw and Audi transmissions and it works great in the Mercedes, No problems here. I buy oil and atf on a as needed basis and i get Amsoil fluids half price.
How much was it a quart? The Shell ATF 134 is about $5 a quart from a shell distributor and is on MB's approved list. Amsoil is not.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
13,194
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by charmer37
There's a lot of choices for fluid and i don't have a shell distributor in my area, I will find the best price and buy the Mercedes fluid online.
That's funny I have found 4 who service Maryland.
 
Top